TREASURE HUNTING-GOOD FOR THE SOUL? YOUR OPINION!

DANNYGEE

Oct 27, 2005
GREENLAWN, NY (LONG ISLAND)
Detector(s) used
2-6000 di pros
HELLO PEOPLE
WAS RECENTLY DOING SOME RENOVATING FOR AN ANESTHESIOLOGIST (I AM A CONTRACTOR), WHOSE WIFE IS A PSYCHOLOGIST. AND WHILE WORKING THERE MANY INTERESTING CONVERSATONS ENSUED.
WE SPOKE ON TOPICS RANGING FROM RELIGION TO POLITICS.
ONE DAY WE WERE CHATTING ABOUT HOBBIES AND THE PSYCHOLOGICAL BENEFITS OF BEING INVOLVED IN ONE.
SHE (THE PSYCHOLOGIST) MENTIONED THAT THE RIGHT HOBBIES CAN EVEN EXTEND A PERSONS LIFE DUE IN PART TO HOW MENTAL WELLBEING TRANSLATES TO PHYSICAL WELLBEING.
SO I MENTIONED TO HER HOW ONE OF MY PASSIONS WAS METAL DETECTING..
SHE WAS VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE SUBJECT SINCE SOMEONE IN HER FAMILY HAD BEEN INVOLVED IN METAL DETECTING.
SHE ALSO MENTIONED THAT THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST TYPES OF HOBBIES SINCE IT EXPLORED AND CHALLENGED MANY IF NOT ALL OF THE HUMAN PSYCHE.

SHE EXPRESSED HOW THE BENEFITS RANGED FROM LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE TO SHARPER COGNITIVE SKILLS.

SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE SOME OF THE POSITIVE RESULTS THAT Y O U EXPERIENCE?

DANNYGEE

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty stove up from an accident and I find I can get around a lot better if I get out and MD two or three times a week. Since I don't get around well, it gives me something to get out and do that isn't too strenuous. I can work at my own pace and rest if I need to. It keeps me from going stir crazy by just sitting around. I'm either going MDing or planning to go, cleaning my equipment, doing research, etc. Very good hobby both mentally and physically. Monty

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think, like most things, it depends on how you handle it. If you obsess, other parts of your life can get neglected. If you take a well-balanced approach, it will continue to be a pleasurable, rewarding hobby for the rest of your life. Even if you do obsess over it and it dominates your life, it is a better and healthier activity than a lot of other potential activities someone could get involved in. The physical and mental benefits are numerous. I think that the hope, anticipation and thrill of the hunt could easily add a few years to your life. Good for the soul...without a doubt.

HH!
TBGO

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely!

;)

It is for me!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Metal detecting and gardening are what saved my sanity when all the kids were young! Whenever they'd 'get to me'
off I'd go, alone; and work thru the aggravation in the dirt... I'd always return MUCH calmer and able to deal. Especially when they hit those HORRIBLE teenage years.
Something about digging in the dirt soothes my soul, for sure!
HH

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I have had a lot of different hobbies in my life, but I think I like this one best of all...
What other hobby will let you get out of the house for awhile, then when you get home still enjoy what you have found, ID it, learn about it, and share it with your friends... Out of all the different ones I have had, I can't think of one them that has done all of that... It has definitely helped me...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Like the above, here's a hobby that gives you exercise, a natural nerve tonic, an education, and also pays for itself. You can be a loner, a partner, or a family group-doesn't matter, we're all the same. We all have dirty fingernails. ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, but what is good for your health is not necessarily good for your soul. ;D

The love of treasure [money] is the root of all evil.

What is the sound of one side of a coin under a coil?

I detect, therefore I am.

I love this metaphysical stuff.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to add that believe it or not, MDing saved my life! Since I retired My wife said if I didn't get out of the house and out from under her feet she was going to kill me! ;D Monty

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANNYGEE

~~~~~~~

HOLA RITA:

Gee it is good to see you again, you are looking as beautiful as ever. I hope you aren't still angry because I stood you up ?

Actually it wasn't my fault, my buddy came to my house all excited, he had just found a new untuched spot to detect - sheesh = what can a red blooded American guy do?.

Before I could see you again and explain, Uncle Sam stuck me on a transort and shipped me out. I was unable to even telephone you sigh. will be bk sometime next year, can we pick it up again? I promise that if I have to break a date again to detect, I will call you first , OK?

Oh, I will want to introduce you to my good friend Capt sossi when I get back, he can fill in if I am unable to keep a date..

Till Eulenspiegle

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Great thread!! I agree that the physical and mental benefits are superb, not to mention the education I have given myself!!! You get to learn the history behind your hunts and may even know something about the people who lost them!!! This hobby is a big plus!!! Now to convince my wife ;D
HH All
Greg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=DANNYGEE ]
HEY
DOES ANYONE GET WHAT REALDE TAYOPA SAID IN THIS THREAD?
I DON'T

DG
\~~~~
Geeze Danny, I thought that you were my old flame Rita Hayworth, sorry, but you did post her picture no?heheheheh.

Till Eulenspiegle

D

diggit 65

Good for the soul in deed ! A lot of people just don't get it .I can go out and detect all day and come back with nine penny's and be totaly satisfied and relaxed . and people try to put a dollar amount per hour on it .THEY JUST DON'T GET IT ;D. I love what I do .

diggit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions