Hunting the West Side of Route 66!...

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend Reid and myself spent about 4 days hunting a 200 mile stretch of Route 66. We started at Oro Grande and worked our way through Helendale, Hodge, Lenwood, Barstow, Dagget, Newberry Springs, Ludlow, Bagdad, Amboy, Essex, and Needles. Along the way there were plenty of abandoned houses, motels, dinners, etc. to keep us busy. Reid had the best finds: A 1945 Merc. and a 1900 V Nickel. Both Reid and myself found the chess set. It came off the front yard of an old abandoned house. It's an adventure worth taking, even without a detector!

Attachments

• img1route66one038.jpg
    img1route66one038.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That was a great idea. When I took 66 I noticed a lot of places were fenced in. Did you have any problems Law or landowner wise?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nice pix. Good play-by-play. Lots of nostalgic american along that route of cities you listed. I got some coins and tokens in Ludlow before. In retrospect, coins along there are not necessarily old (as the hey-day, for most of those little burgs, was only the '20s or so), but a few of them predated the Rte. 66 era, so you can find older items, from the RR era, for instance.

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
That was a great idea. When I took 66 I noticed a lot of places were fenced in. Did you have any problems Law or landowner wise?

Had no problem until the last day. On our way back in the town of Helendale we spotted what we thought was abandoned baseball field. It looked like an old park, it even had a parking lot. As soon as we got out of our vehicle this big guy said in a loud angry voice "Get your as* out of here"! There were no signs posted, we really thought we were in an old park. Obviously, we were on private property, but didn't know it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread