gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Quit diggin' and move on. Happens alot. Probably DEEP crap, iron. No coin will behave like this. If the site allows, try to find it just for fun.

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come across this, and very often it's been a tiny bb, blob of solder, piece of copper wire, or some other small item that you can't see, but gets moved around as you dig. If it's small enough, just flipping the plug it was in might put it far enough from the coil to lose the signal, and then it comes back when you put the plug back. I use a handheld pinpointer now and that has helped immensely in finding these elusive targets.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several explanations.... but always a reason, just make sure it's not the unit or a bad coil.

What's probably the most common reason for a "ghost signal" is a target that is just breaking through the discrimination. Once you dig the hole it breaks the halo from the object having erroded for years, and this decreses the quality of the signal enough for your detector's discrimination to reject it. The best way to deal with this is to go into all metal or zero disc. and find it that way. A probe is a huge help!

Minerals or salt can cause this and is dealt best with by lowering the sens., or in some cases 'notching', on certain detectors. The typical VLF will have these problems when around salt water.

Another is the target changed position after you started to dig and ended up on edge, or masked, or another way to suddenly hide it from the detector. (The smaller the target, the tougher to locate) The way you deal with this is not to give up, and once you have a lot of experience with a unit you tend to know what singals are too good to give up on. Again a probe can really help with this one too.

The last I can think of is the target is deeper! This isn't too uncommon with my explorer and happens once I dig the hole and break the halo. I can't tell you how many times I was ready to give up and as a last resort dug deeper and found the target. The explorer is a little strange that it will detect in disc. deeper than the all metal pinpoint will sound off.

I guess there is one last reason. Don't use an explorer and keep a can of bug spray in your pants pocket. I'll leave it at that. ;D

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I totally mis-read this post. I was thinking the "dig to China Syndrome", where you keep getting good signal no matter how deep you dig, but cant find it. Now I see the question true and think 22 brass and bullets, small lead, small wads of foil....will make you do some hoop jumpin'.

OP
OP
LuckyDragon

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If it not there , than forget it, it's not worth digging a large hole.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Womens hair pins do this its very irritating!!!! unless they drop a little gold next to it!!! LOL!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread