Night Detecting

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
only on vacation while at the beach about 1 week a year.its a lot cooler then, less people and i attract less attention.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I did lots of night hunting back in the 80's but today I hunt only during the daylight hours.

I see night hunting as far to dangerous for many areas in America today. Not far from our house a young man was shot and killed as he knocked on the door of some strangers house to let him know his car was being ravaged by kids. The guy told police that he thought the kids attacking his car were trying to break into his home. The second he heard the noise at the door he fired his shotgun through it. The boy lie outside dying as this man stood by him cussing him out.

The case went to court and the shooter got off scott free.

This nighttime Good Samaritan deed landed this boy 6 feet down.

My point is, people are really jumpy today and it's not safe to prowl around at night THing.

D

digndeep

Most of my detecting is at night in the summer, due to the busy family schedule during the daylight hours. It's a lot cooler for detecting during the night. The places that I hunt have overhead lighting so it's not too dark. Gotta watch out for those skunks!! Came close a few times. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 am before getting home.

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't really get dark during my hunting season. I guess that makes up for the short season we have here in Alaska.

I've lost track of time and hunted until 1am more often than I care to admit. I'm sure glad our midnight sun comes in the summer time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger and more stupid I would sometimes hunt lawns at night at old homes in the area. I am ashamed to say I was to lazy to ask permission and just did it at night. I would use a large box around me and set it on the ground to hide my small light while I retreived the coin. The next day you couldn't tell anyone was there digging in the yard I was so neat.

But it is a dumb idea now as homeowners are prone to shoot first and just bury you so they don't have to answer questions. At least in my town.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I hunt at night quite a bit...for the pure and simple reason that I have about 4 months of good hunting here in the summer,so I need to double my time that I hunt! ;) I always night-hunt in an area that I am familiar with .Plus there are less people around,its cooler, the parks,schools and beaches are pretty well lit and I also have a headlamp.Usually by midnight all the creeps have called it a night and I have never run into any trouble.The local cops know me by now so I dont have problems there.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post. I never tried night detecting. Did a lot of coon huntin by moon light when I was younger. Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread