Do you wear gloves while digging

N

NLINE SIXX

I ask this question because I was out MD Friday at some rental property my mom owns. I found quite bit of clad coins while there, at one point I was there on my knees digging and one of the neighbors dogs (Boston Terrier) came over to check out what I was digging. Of course I continued digging and the dog wanted some attention so I was petting him and talking to him and continued digging when all of a sudden I was stung or bit by "fire ants" >:(. They are a problem here in the South and are painful. Also at another MD outing I was digging and as I was about to reach in the hole a centipede crawled across the bottom of the hole. They also have a pretty good sting to them also.

So I had noticed at my work place there are several of our mechanics in the shop area that wear these blue colored I guess mechanics gloves. They are similar to surgical gloves but look like there a lot tougher. I may have to purchase some of those.

NL6

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I ride bicycle for my other hobby, I have found that wearing my old pair of padded bicycling gloves works in winter and summer, and prevents any blisters from digging with the padded palm. Usually a decent pair of bicycle gloves which a bicyclist uses to benefit from the padding in the gloves that prevent wear and tear leaning on those handle bars, well the gloves padding, whether it be gel or foam, but I prefer gel, do flatten out over time, so rather than throw the gloves away as not as beneficial for bike riding anymore, but they sure are great for swingin the detector, protecting the palm from digger blisters and provide enough warmth in winter, but yet you still have the freedom of you fingers.

PS I also wear a Fishing Vest, for my Pingin Vest, contains, everything you might possibly need in the field plus enough pockets for good finds, bad finds, junk, magnifying glass, knife, plastic bags, enough room for a water bottle, etc..........
That could be another discussion item, what do you wear to carry your stuff! :)

Don in SJ

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I wear one glove on my swinging/digging hand. It's my old racquetball glove. Since I quit playing racqetball it came in handy for metal detecting. It's thin but padded and doesn't feel like I am wearing anything and I don't get blisters anymore.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Wow, this thread really surprised the heck out of me. I didn't know that *anyone* wore gloves while detecting, and here I find out that almost everyone does. I don't. I never have in 30 years of hunting or even thought about it. I am very careful, since I do dig in junky urban environments and dig up plenty of scary stuff. But I just love feeling a coin with my fingers at 6+" down. You know you've got a goodie, but you can't tell just what until you get it to the surface.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I hunt mostly at night and gloves are a must, I use the knit type that have been dipped in rubber, they work in the rain too!

HH

JW

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a nice pair of leather gloves. They keep my hands clean and save lots of finger nail cleaning time.... and to get the ladies you gotta have nice, clean fingernails ;)

Plus I have been cut before I started using them. The sweat on my hand caused it to slip while digging and my hand slid right down the sharp edge of my knife. It wasn't painful, but not something that I would recommend doing for kicks n giggles.

If you are digging old house sites then there is a good chance that 1 out of every 2 holes you dig will have some broken glass or nice thin aluminum in there to slice your hand to bits!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finally the voice of reason.... ;D

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i too were gloves, kind of like the mechanic gloves but with a light leather palm, breathable nylon backs. been cut on old rusted metal enough times to figure that one out. Thompy

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I always wear gloves when metal detecting. White's sells a nice pair of leather gloves, which are practically indestructible. I wear them most of the year. But in the winter time, I have several pairs of old ski gloves that I use. They work real well in the snow and cold.

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
I know this is an old topic, but I figured I would reply. I tend to wear gloves for a couple of reasons, but the main one being when I cut a plug and reach underneath to pull it up you don't know what is underneath. I do not want to get bit, stung, poked by and insect and where I live we have black widows and brown recluse spiders. I have seen spiders come up from the holes I have dug. I once saw pics of a guy who had his hand bitten by a brown recluse spider while detecting. That was nasty. You all know about infections and getting cut by glass, and then playing in the dirt, you know the routine.
Also in response to the Turtleskin gloves, In my line of work I wear puncture/cut resistant gloves everyday. They are hot and your finger dexterity is very little. I would suggest wearing a light pair of shooting gloves or tactical gloves if you want some measure of protection against sharp objects. I wear a plain $3.99 pair of gardening gloves, with a rubber coated bottom. I can't see paying $50.00 for a pair of high end gloves that are not being used for what they were made for.

Celtic Crusader

Jun 21, 2006
Personally...working class...so no. But if I went more down south I probably would (rattle snakes)...because they scare me...I'd probably would buy 10 or so 1st aid kits for them...but I guess you can become immune to them...after like 100 bites by snakes...(discovery channel?)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I mainly hunt the water, I don't wear gloves unless the water is near freezing. For land however, I sometimes wear gloves in the woods.

tigerdale

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Greenville SC
Detector(s) used
XLT, IDX PRO, Discovery 3300
I wish I had been wearing gloves this morning... I'm new to md'ng and have owned a detector for about 3 weeks. I'm finding metal all over my backyard and so far what I'm finding is what I would call pieces of rusty tin. Anyway, I was reaching into the hole I had dug trying to pull out another piece of tin when I sliced open my index finger. I cleaned the area and poured hydrogen peroxide over it. I'm wondering if I should go get a tetanus shot since I haven't had one in years. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

OP
OP
N

NLINE SIXX

I have heard two versions of how long the T shots are good for.Every 10 years your good to go is what I always though was the standard myself, but have also heard every 5 years.So I'm really unsure myself. My last one was in Sept 97 having a little accident at work. :)

NL6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread