My first foray

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Bought a Garrett 250 the other day, and gave it a try today. I found nothing of value, but do have a few questions:
1) I had it set on coin mode, and a few times it indicated coins, but it turned out to be bottle caps. Have others experienced this?
2) Many times I would sweep a few feet, get a hit, but when going over the area again more slowly, there was no hit.

I was using the pre-set sensitivity.

Any thoughts would help.

And here I thought my first foray would result in at least a few gold doubloons.

Upvote 0

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is exactly how mine works.

I have found that spending some good time with the machine, and testing out with known targets will help you understand how it works. Dig everything, I found a 14K gold ring on the pulltab with my Ace250.

I keep sensitivity in the 3 bar range, on my machine it seems to keep the phantom signals from hitting as often.

Good luch and have fun.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Bottle caps usually will show up as coins BC Dad. The Ace 250 is a good machine to start with, I hunt with a guy who uses a 250 over his higher end machines because its so light weight & he keeps right up with my $700 machine! Coin mode is fine & only dig the solid, repeatable signals for now. Try tossing a few coins on the ground & practice pinpointing them with your machine to get an idea of how that works. Also, I suggest a Cen-tec pinpointer from Harbor Freight for $16, that will help you find coins faster. Good luck & it wont be long before you are finding the good stuff! :icon_thumleft:

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
Congrats on your new hobby!

It is a fantastic addiction!

Your machine does it's best to ID what it sees, but it is up to you to decide what is worth digging.

Get used to your standard quarter, dime, copper penny, zinc penny, and pulltab readings, and then experiment with those same objects read at different depths (they may read different.)

It's all a crapshoot.

I dug a silver&gold Harley Davidson ring today at 4" that rang up as a dime-quarter signal and about $5.00 in quarters and dimes.

I usually don't dig shallow penny signals thanks to the digital readout. When I do dig them it's only because they show as a deeper dime.

I have a price-comparable Fisher F2.

Gold rings will show up in the foil to zinc range.

Good luck buddy!

Jim on Camano

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread