PRIZM 6T -- volume adjustment?

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
I've been using my V3 for over a year now, and just bought my wife her own Prizm 6T.

We took it out for the maiden voyage today, and so far -- no issues except for one. The volume is considerably louder than we'd like for the quiet park locations we hunt. I can't find a volume adjustment on it anywhere, having watched the DVD and read the manual -- Google was no help either.

Anybody know if there's a key sequence to lower the volume? Headphones with integrated volume control would be one option, but we prefer to use the speaker when we're hunting together so we can still communicate and hear when each other has a target.

Greg

Dang Whites forum is shut down and moving. Bah!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple solution if you don't wanna use head phones it to cover the speaker outlet with cotton and duct tape to muffle the sound.

OP
OP
H

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Sandman said:
Simple solution if you don't wanna use head phones it to cover the speaker outlet with cotton and duct tape to muffle the sound.

I'm giving that strong consideration. A sticker to cover the speaker hole on the bottom might be some weather resistance improvement as well. Further research today didn't turn up any advice on a volume adjustment. Kinda shocks me a $500+ detector wouldn't include the feature. Then again, my V3 won't let you lower the volume below "38" on the scale. I guess the folks in Sweet Home are hearing impaired. :laughing7:

Greg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 8 different detectors and none of them have a volume control other than headphone adjustment. I don't consider it a problem as I always use headphones to hear the faintest tones and to extend the battery life. However, for you folks, another alternative would be either a one earcup type phone or one of the smaller, light duty phones that still let you hear outside noise. My two bits.
luvsdux

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I hunt with others that are nearby me I always use side of the headphones and keep the other ear open. I can hear both my tones and others talking. I am thinking about getting my wife the 6T as well as she really liked it when we visited local dealer. I would say use the headphones with one ear open as it will save battery life as well. Good luck.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you seriously hunting in parks with no headphones? Are you trying to get detecting banned in your park? I can think of nothing more annoying as a general park goer than hearing someone metal detecting. I refuse to even hunt with people if they don't bring headphones. It draws way too much attention to the hobby, and none of it is positive. You instantly become that annoying person that nobody wants to be around because you are disturbing their pleasant day.

Get some headphones and do as the others suggested and just listen from one ear. Or do as I do and get some earbuds that wrap around your ears and still let you hear outside noise.

Please get some headphones and be respectful of those around you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread