ACE 250 waterproof coil?

edelsite

May 15, 2010
I'm going to buy a metal detector this week (just getting into the hobby) and I see that the ACE 250 is a decent starter unit at a decent price. Question is, does it have a water proof/resistant coil for searching at the beach? Didn't see any info specifically about that on the manu website. Also, might as well ask...is there any other detector I should be looking at before I buy? I've been pre-approved (by wife) to spend around $500. The ACE 250 is well under that.

The new guy

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
I don't know about the Ace250 but, some detectors have a rough time detecting around highly mineralized saltwater and wet sand.

Mine does and I've got a Fisher F2. It does work but I get alot of false signals.

Both the F2 and the Ace250 have an automatic ground balance that is not adjustable.

If your not going to be hunting the beach exclusively then I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim on Camano Island

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
edelsite said:
I'm going to buy a metal detector this week (just getting into the hobby) and I see that the ACE 250 is a decent starter unit at a decent price. Question is, does it have a water proof/resistant coil for searching at the beach? Didn't see any info specifically about that on the manu website. Also, might as well ask...is there any other detector I should be looking at before I buy? I've been pre-approved (by wife) to spend around $500. The ACE 250 is well under that.

I agree with Jim -- if the detector you buy doesn't have a "Beach" or salt water mode, you are likely to have a lot of falsing at the water line where the sand is wet.

Whites has a $100 coupon offer on their Prizm 5G and Prizm 6T detectors. The 6T has a Beach Mode built-in, and handles the wet sand and dry land hunting pretty well. WITH the coupon it's a little over your limit. The 5G does not have a beach mode (at least I don't think so) but would come in under your $500 pre-approved wife limit. =)

Greg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a die hard owner and fan of the ACE 250. But if you plan on hunting saltwater beaches mostly, it wouldn't be your best choice. Look for something with a turn on and go saltwater mode. There are several in your price range but I don't recommend any one in particular as I have never owned one. These guys won't lead you astray. Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net :hello2:

Well the Ace 250 is a good choice for your first machine and I still use it. The coil is water proof, but you can't get the control box wet, otherwise you will have scrap. Why pay more for your first detector anyway :dontknow: The Ace 250 is around $250 shipped. Another reason not to go for a better model yet is, you may not like detecting and get bored. You can always use the money you find with the Ace to purchase upgrades down the road. :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ACE is an excellent machine for ordinary usage. Salt water beaches is another matter. I live near a lake that is fed with runoff from the Salt Plains in Oklahoma. The salinity is so high it can't be used for drinking water. I couldn't find a bleeping thing with my ACE 250 unless I got way up on the beach in dry sand. Near the water it falsed so much I had to turn the sensitivity down so low I couldn't get much depth at all, about 3" or less. I finally got a 1280X that will compensate for the salt. Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really haven't had much a problem in salt water either for some reason :dontknow: I use mine in the water at the beach and do get some bad readings, but not enough to frustrate me :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread