Tesoro detectors

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Howdy, my name is Earl. I started metal detecting in 1979 with an old bounty hunter red baron vlf machine. I then graduated to a whites 6000d then a whites 6000di. I quit the hobby back in 1985. I got back into the hobby in 1993, when I bought a tesoro Diablo nugget machine. I then traded it for the new diablo 2. I recently (last year) started looking for a coin machine. I moved to the south eastern oregon desert area and there are a lot of old ghost towns and homesteads around here. I contacted the Tesoro distributor in the area and he sold me on the Tesoro Golden Max with tone id. I was more interested in the elderado which had a manual ground balance. He assured me that this factory preset ground balance machine would work almost as well a a manual ground balance machine plus it had more features. Well to make a long story short, I bought the golden max. I like the features but it does not seem to go very deep in this soil. My place has a lot of alkalia and black sand. And when I hunt one of the old homesteads that has a lot of trash around the tone id drives me nuts. My question is, does anyone on this site have experience with the golden max. Is it a good machine or is it just me and I need to learn the machine better. I know my old whites would put this machine to shame. Even the old bounty hunter found deeper coins. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a whites mxt. Any comments?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less sensitivity,common mistake to run too high. Use a rusty nail,pop top,pulltab,silver coin,and a gold ring or coin to set up your notch better.By taking a minute or two to tweak it into place you cut down the garbage considerably!!Tesoro a bad machine,NEVER!!! I have a 20+ year old golden sabre with bookoo coils and it still works great after 1,000's a hours on beaches,parks,and EVERYWHERE!! Check into smaller coils in heavy trash areas too.Tons a au 2 u 2-John PS I also run my Tesoro LST and my fisher GB2 also. ;D

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
Earl,

The MXT is a fabulous machine; however, it will give you a similar problem if you use the big coil that comes with it.? You will need to budget in the small DD and sniper coil (5") to get the most out of it.? You may be having a similar problem on the machine you've got (to big a coil for the conditions).? One of the great things about the MXT are the directions for setting it up for prospecting, relic hunting, and general beach hunting are printed on the control box.? Wow!? After 60 years of metal detectors, somebody finally printed the setup directions on one so they're with us all the time.? Amazing!

Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com

Image41.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread