Anybody ever tried hunting a drainage ditch?

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Driving down the road the other day, it struck me that nearly every road in our area has a ditch on either side. In one of the ditches, there was a spot where a small "waterfall" had formed. It got me thinking...if this was gold country (which it isn't), THAT would be the spot to check. Then I thought - if heavier materials (like gold) get stuck in those spots, why not other stuff like coins, rings, etc.?

I realize that in most places, the water is very slow moving and the bottom of the ditch is so muddy that anything dropped or thrown in would just sink where it landed. But after a heavy rain, wouldn't there be a chance that -something- got washed "downstream?" I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried these places, before I strap on my wading boots... :laughing7:

Upvote 0

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I say go for it. You never know until you try and you might just turn other people on to another spot to hunt.

Let us know how you do!

OP
OP
Hawkeye P

Hawkeye P

Apr 7, 2010
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6
lafatlife said:
I say go for it. You never know until you try and you might just turn other people on to another spot to hunt.

Let us know how you do!

I just might! I'm going to wait till later in the week, as we just had some heavy rain and the ditch is still pretty full. Hopefully I'll get out there before the mosquitoes do! Remember, this is only a test, so when I come up with nothing but a handful of pulltabs and rusty car parts, don't be disappointed! :laughing7:

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
It's funny, it has been raining here today and I thought about this post and know of the culvert that runs all the way down a rather large hill and opens as a brook behind our town hall. I was thinking of checking it out when the rain stops after tomorrow.

I think it's a good idea. You might find a lot of trash but the potential is there for other things.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know how it goes. I am pretty interested to find out lol

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a post way back where a person did good in clad in the ditches. Also, I remember a member who goes on the sides of old roads and oftentimes gets good, although sparse, finds. I detected dirt removed from a ditch and kept getting cans. I, personally, don't believe you will have much luck MD'ing the back roads hoping for a score. However, old roads next to old churches, schools, meeting halls which would require people to park on the side of the road would be a good place. Also, hunting downstream from parks may yield good results. Let us know how it goes

HH
-GC

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Pretty clever idea there Hawkeye, I'm gonna give that one a thought.....looking forward to hearing how you make out!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the same thought, but haven't done it yet. I'd think one should especially search near bridges and culverts - places that things are easily thrown from vehicles. You just never know.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread