Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 0

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I do not live in NC however I will be down in onslow county in the swansboro area Fri,Sat and Sun. I am hoping to get some detecting in water or dry land, I am bringing both the gti-1500 and the sea hunter mark 2. I know the weather is supposed to be nice so maybe I can pull some goodies out. Good Luck!! HH!!!!

A

austin552

I am in Kinston. The closest club to me is in Goldsboro I believe. ;)

C

Charles,Oak Island

Oak Isalnd wating for Jeanne, no clubs. Couple of us water babies use them diving. Also hit the beach every now and then.

ChadsMach1

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2004
Cary, NC here. Originally from Elon (Burlington) area. Been through a few detectors in the last few years. Currently own a Minelab Explorer II with the stock 8" & 10.5" Minelab coils and a 15" Coiltek coil. Some people don't seem to like Minelabs, but once you learn how to use this machine, and learn how to read the digital meter, it is a lethal weapon. These 28 frequencies really make a difference. I can't wait to get some time off work and try some old homesteads.

Currently I've been doing a lot of beach hunting with a lack of results. Only enough clad to pay for batteries in most cases. There are still many places in the area I would like to obtain permission for and hunt. Are you familiar with the Brummels Inn gold tale? The old Inn is on government property, about 300 acres with 3 standing buildings today. None of the land is currently in use. It was a thriving area in the early 1800's (1800-1825).

I'll be heading back to the beach this week on my days off with a friend of mine. Doing some beach hunting at Carolina Beach, then moving up to Topsail to search around the sound some more on the southern tip of the island. This will be my first beach trip with the Minelab. Maybe I will get lucky.

NCBusguy

Oct 24, 2004
I'm a newby to this forum, but not to detecting!!! I'm in Hendersonville, NC and I have been looking for good places to detect, but I am unfamiliar with NC laws. I know that the NF are off limits but what about the NC Game lands?? Thanks

NCBusguy

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I don't live there now but was born in Washington,N.C. I hope to get back there someday to do some detecting. The state has a long history and so many possibilities it makes me proud to be a Tar Heel. HH.

C

Charles,Oak Island

nedigger
do you know where the old taylor hospital is ? How about the USS Picket ?

C

Charles,Oak Island

If you ever move back there I know lots of places in the area. I was born there and moved away in 1976 now living at the beach in NC.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Sounds great, I'll keep that in mind. When you say you live on the beach I presume you are talking on the mainland. Do you ever go detecting on the Outer Banks? I would love to get out there sometime as well. Here is a site that shows some great finds from there by a group that calls themselves Capt'n Seaweed and The Soda Pop Pirates (maybe you've heard of them) http://www.outerbanksnc.net/. I ran across this site a couple of years ago and I check back occasionally to see if anything new has been added. Good luck and HH.

el_detecto

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2004
I'm in Morrisville, NC and typically hunt relics and coins in construction sites, woods, and farm fields.? Been to the beach only once, but I really need a different detector for that.? I'll be moving to Central Florida in a few months, so I am trying to get to all the places I've had my eye on before the move.? Then it'll be a learning time for Florida laws, places, etc.?

A

austin552

Hey nedigger,
Glad I checked out the Soda Pop Site! I have been planning a hunting trip to S.O.B.X.
The site says theres no hunting allowed there... Oh well, guess you saved me some trouble and money.
Thanks, Austin

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Jackson Creek here.......just west of Asheboro. New to the site and just got back into detecting. I work with a couple of guys that have been doing it 20+ yrs. We're going to Myrtle tomorrow to do a little bit of looking. Dont know how good I'll do with my Wally world BH Pioneer against their Fishers and Whites but we'll see.

Dont know of any clubs in this area......but Im sure there are some.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
austin552 said:
Hey nedigger,
Glad I checked out the Soda Pop Site! I have been planning a hunting trip to S.O.B.X.
The site says theres no hunting allowed there... Oh well, guess you saved me some trouble and money.
Thanks, Austin

Although much of the Outer Banks is included in the Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashores where detecting is not allowed why not plan your trip to some of the areas in the northern parts of OBX where you can detect such as Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores, Duck, Corolla and north to the Virginia state line. The entire OBX area is chock full of shipwrecks from the past 400 years or so and some of the towns mentioned above see good numbers of summer tourists that undoubtedly left many goodies behind. You are bound to come away with something you can post here to make the rest of us envious. Good luck and HH.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If I'm not mistaken, you can't detect north of Corolla to Virginia (Currituck area) since this can only be accessed by rented four-wheelers. It's a protected area where the Spanish mustangs still run free. Seems like a pretty cool place. I hope to take my family up there to ride sometime.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Darren in NC said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can't detect north of Corolla to Virginia (Currituck area) since this can only be accessed by rented four-wheelers. It's a protected area where the Spanish mustangs still run free. Seems like a pretty cool place. I hope to take my family up there to ride sometime.

The locations that I mentioned are listed as places that detecting is allowed on the website above. Probably your best bet is to check with local authorities and/or ordinances to be on the safe side. Would love to visit OBX myself someday for detecting as well as sightseeing. Good luck and HH to all.

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry, I've been off for awhile, caring for my mother. Actually, just checking in after a 12 hour work day. Not much time to detect these days.

Anyway, I know of one club in NC and one I go to in Greer SC. The Blue Ridge Club currently meets in the Fletcher NC Meth. Church the 4 th Friday, (except December, and in November this year it's the 3rd Friday) 6 pm. The Greer SC group meets the 4th Monday at the Greer Rec Park (Tennis Academy) at 7:30 p. No meeting in December and annual Club dinner at Ryan's in Greer in early January. Both have web pages. Mountain Detector Sales in Hendersonville NC can give info about the Fletcher group. Both groups also have club member only hunts, and the Greer group sponsors the Thermal City Hunt.

Maggie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread