Question About Ferrys....No Not Fairies....Ferrys

Lithophylic

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Alabama
We have a number of rivers here with numerous historic ferry crossings. I have decided to try some of these sites to see how productive they may be. Has anyone done a lot of ferrys :laughing7:? Would I expect to have better luck on the banks of the rivers where they would have camped or staged, or in the river along the crossing. I plan on trying both but wanted to see if anyone had some info that may cut out some of the dead hunting time.

Thanks

Tim

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd do a little research first. Check with your local Reference Librarian, historical society and archived newspapers of the day (search mode) to determine where the people congregated at these landing areas.
Then, at least, you'll know you're hunting in the right spots.
Welcome to TreasureNet!!
Don..........

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had some success around them. One in particular produced many coins off the shoreline and quite a few from the dirt road. That sure brings back some memories... chipping coins off the road!

OP
OP
Lithophylic

Lithophylic

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Alabama
Most of these are 1800s or older. I have one that has a trader site near it, 1600s to 1700s. Found lots of flintlock pieces/ beads, pipe, lead, along with indian pottery etc. Most don't even have roads to them anymore. But I have some old navigation charts that identify them and thought it would be worth some time. The one I hope to start with is associated with the old Federal Road that entered into "the state" and was used heavily in the early 1800s. Thanks for the input. Has anyone done any UW detecting in association with these? I will keep you posted as to what happens.

Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread