What do you do with the gold rings you find

Z

ZumbroKid

First one I found fit and i wear it. The second one is too small and I need more to make a decision what to do with it. Scrap prices are not much for them.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well, I've always liked to give them to friends and family members, especially the rings that I know will just sit in my finds box and gather dust. So far I've given away a large sterling Harley Davidson ring to an uncle, my wife claimed a pair of James Avery silver rings I found, and my mother-in-law just asked me for a Black Hills rose gold ring I found in Austin. Scrap value is pretty insignificant, and I find that the appreciation you get from giving something you found to someone far outweighs the monetary value. And there's always eBay!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
N 6,

ANY RING I find I TRY on ;); then file them in a drawer
for another day.

Have often thought of having them melted, think the
women plans on doing something some day with them.

have a good un........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found my first few wedding bands I just saved them. My first class ring I was able to return it to the owner and it felt good to do this for someone. Soon I was finding more rings, chains, etc. and had the bands made into better men's rings for myself. I sold a few also and later when I looked for a certain one, I remembered I had either sold it or gave it away. Ladies rings with stones are either given to my girl friends or if small enough to my grand daughter.

Never sell any gold ring at a Pawn shop for scrap of $$ a gram unless you have computed the Kt. spot price of gold and weighed the ring to determin its bullion value. You will be giving money away by selling for scrap. Kitco.com is a good place to sell your gold. I am lucky in having a refinery near that pays 94% of spot price.

Get yourself a good gold scale and Kt. test kit and learn how to figure out the value of each ring. Or, sell them for a couple bucks over the value. I know another ole timer that has five gal. buckets or each Kt. weight and you can't lift a bucket. He says he's waithing for the price to go up......

OP
OP
N

NLINE SIXX

Thanks everyone for your replys, of course at this point of my MD I have not found any rings to speak of, but if that picks up I will probably have them made into something nice for my wife and daughter to wear and enjoy. Although returning the class rings would be a cool thing to do and worth seeing the look on that persons face that lost it. :)

NL6

B

BOB in TX

I have been in the hobby about 37 years and am 73 years old,I just gave my collection to my son and daughter,568 rings,now when I die there won't be any dispute.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine just sit in a safety deposit box.
I have seriously been thinking about having one ring made using my one and only detected gold coin and a couple of small diamonds that I found into one massive "knuckle Buster". But then, I would probably be afraid to wear it, and so it would probably sit in a safety deposit box. ???

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
I always offer up jewelry finds to my wife,and then daughters .That helps when I go out on a hunt for days at a time to have something to bring back ,kinda like Hagar The Horrible bringing back his wife spoils of war you know,keeps the peace and harmony in the castle. You might even want to hold a couple back in case you hit a dry spell.On the other hand if you arn't married they make swell gifts for lady friends.I had a friend that worked in a dental lab and he would cast stuff by the lost wax process and he made some custom jewelry for me.Here is a lost wax cast piece that I've worn for many years . It is cast out of lost jewelry,and the diamonds and ruby are recovered also. I lost a diamond out of the north star in it though .Good Luck Bob

Attachments

• pirate cross    salty dog.jpg
    pirate cross salty dog.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 370

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate, that's a nice anchor you had made. I had a ring made with my initials in small stones my wife had and brought in 6 yellow gold rings and one white gold and the diamonds to a jeweler. When the ring was compleated, they wanted lots more money and I was still out over half a oz. of gold in weight. When I asked for the rest of my gold or cash, they paid up and then some since their business is making jewelry and the place was crowded.

People not in the hobby don't realize the stuff we find. But, none of it is a profit. When you want a profit, you gotta get a job.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gold rings? ;) Actually I only have found 3 or 4. So far I have just photographed them and put them in my goodie box. I will give them to my wife, daughter or sons if I find some really nice ones. I have a huge class ring that I can't get anyone to claim! The guy whose initials are in it says he didn't buy a class ring! Go figure? Anyway, I have my photographs to remind me if I dispose of them someday. Monty

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
I posted this yesterday in the wrong place and deleted it. A few years back I was out driving and saw what I thought was an old deserted school. I had an old BFO Garrett I bought used and soon dug up a gold class ring. A man drove in and ran me out, said never come back. When I cleaned the ring it was from 1942, had three initials, from a small town nearby. The lady who was the school alumnus secretary identified the man. He turned out to be the CEO of a large hospital about forty miles away. While in that city I went in the hospital, his secretary said he was too busy to be disturbed and asked all kinds of questions, finally I just handed her the ring and left. I got about a half block when here he came. He said he was putting up hay in that old school same year he graduated. they looked and looked for it. He was happy to get it back.

OP
OP
N

NLINE SIXX

Jondar that's a good story I would have liked to seen the man face when he first saw the ring. ;D

NL6

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Nline Sixx, Yes he just kept shaking his head and looking at the ring like he didn't believe it. That's the only ring but once I had a silver shield watch fob, on the back was "Colorado School of Mines". and the date 1899, and a last name (I forget but it was a unusual name). I had a friend in Denver and he checked the phone book, that name was in it, he called and it was an elderly couple, and the silver watch fob had belonged to his father, taken in a robbery in 1924. They were overjoyed and said they would pay me what I wanted for it. Of course I sent it to them and wouldn't take anything for it. His father was the mining engineer who designed and oversaw the construction of the road leading up the mountain to the grave of Buffalo Bill in Golden, Co. You never know what you'll find when you research and return these old relics and that, of course, is the reward in it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions