Coin Depth: Lawn vs Woods...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I first got into detecting about a year ago I assumed that coins and other objects would be more deeply buried in the woods compared to a park or home lawn. I guess I just figured the leaf cover year after year would have an object buried pretty deep. But, in my experience it is quite the opposite. I find coins and other object are more shallow in the woods. I have found several flat buttons and a few old coins in the woods that were only 4-5 inches deep. Just recently I dug an 1808 1/2 real at 4 inches in the woods. I don't know why that is. The only thing I figure is there is usually a network of small roots from weeds and brush in the ground that I have to dig through. Maybe that network of small roots is what keeps the objects from going very deep. Any thoughts?

-Swartzie

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
That's something I wonder about too :-\

I have found a Roman dagger pommel at just a few inches, and Crusader recently found plenty of ancient stuff in woods :dontknow:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's the story. Objects are buried by decaying vegetation. Trees loose their leaves once a year, but the lawen is mowed every one or two weeks hence more coverage. If you want to see the whole story, plus get a few laughes, see my post in the metal detector section titled "Do things sink in the ground" I still believe Mts never got it!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the past, I've read many, many posts on depth of finds, how or do they sink etc. The only sure things I've gotten out of it are few folks totally agree, and that targets show up all over the spectrum. Not as deep as one would expect, deeper than might be expected and in totally unexpected spots. I found a Phillipine centavo in my yard one time. I live in the country, no sidewalk or city street. it's possible the area it was in was fill dirt, or a previous inhabitant my have lost it. Anyway that was a find I'd never have dreamed of finding there. That's all part of the appeal this hobby has for me.
HH
luvsdux

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
most good finds for me in the woods are3.5 to 5 inches down anything shallower iffy to age new old but the depths i said more likely seem to be older

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have to agree with Frankn your yard grass gets mowed every week or so. Pluswith the dir blowing and catching inbetween the grass. Helps make the coins nd other objects to get bury faster. Look at the side walksdo thy look like they have sunk in the ground also. The dirt is higher thn what it was when they pour them. If things really sunk in the ground over time then why don't you house sink also......Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions