Metal detector size - backpack fit?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Metal detector size - backpack fit?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2010
    New York

Metal detector size - backpack fit?

Hi, to all members of this great forum.

Looking to buy a new detector. I have a question regarding the size and packing of most popular brands,
    for users who have owned them. Silly as it may sound, but my decision will be based on the size and weight of this thing...

Basically I am looking for one that can be carried in a backpack including the shaft, if possible.
    From what I read some of them can be folded. Having never used or owned one...

Brands that I am considering:

Minelab Excal II
    Whites Surf PI Pro Dual Field
    Fisher CZ-21/1280x
    Headhunter Pirate

I have an Under Armour backpack some 13"-wide X 9"-deep X 18"-high,
    I would like to be able to fit the thing in when going to the beach.

Thanks.

us
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mar 2008
    3246′58″N 9648′14″W
    My other detector is a helicopter
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Metal detector size - backpacking issue

Welcome to Tnet

Actually that is not as silly as it sounds. Getting to some areas require a backpackable detector.

Any detector can be collapsed or broken down to its components.

After making my own shafts and trying other things I found the best solution was to just buy the
    Garrett Detectorists Backpack.

You can google that and find it for about 50 bucks. It carry's all garrett metal detectors and I have found that it fits most of all other brands too because I don't have a garrett's.

It carry's the detector inside but also can carry one outside without being collapsed. It also has a
    ton of room for extra coils, pans, lunch, drinks, and all kinds of stuff.

Detectors are like tools, you need the right one for the job. I like being able to use the detector I want
    for what I am looking for (coins, relics, gold, etc) and knowing I can take it with me.

I guess what I am trying to get at is dollar, cent's and simplicity. It would be cheaper and easier to get a backpack built for that purpose then buying a detector based on it's portability.

Don't be in a rush to buy a detector or this backpack, there are some great folks & dealers that may be along directly and probably come up with a better idea or suggestion. that's the great thing about this forum, you may get a ton of options to consider.
    If you find me upside down, Roll me over.

"I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads       
          without having their motives questioned..."

us
    Nov 2006
    N. Alabama
    Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
    14 times
    Relic Hunting

Another option would be to get a used X-terra 70, as they go for a good price, have a prospecting mode, and break down to pieces easy to stow in a pack. I have one and prefer it over the X-terra 705 I had. I have no financial interest in Minelab, just a satisfied user.
    Relic hunting consists of a series of misadventures interspersed by occasional moments of glory.

It is as silly as it sounds and don't pick that way. You definitely want to pay a lot more attention to what you buy because pretty much all of them will easily fit in a large backpack. From your choices it is clear you are new because those are VERY different type detectors. Don't make an expensive mistake!

I can easily fit my Minelab Explorer in my backpack and it would fall in the range of being a larger modern detector.

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
    6 times

I have a modified Tesoro Micro Max with a 5.75 coil that fits in a fanny pac with room for other stuff.

us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    6 times

Supposedly these detectors weigh in as follows:

(Might or might not include batteries)
    Excalibur 2: 4lbs.
    White's Surf pro: 5lbs
    Fisher 1280x: 4lbs
    Tesoro Micro Max: 2.2lbs

(including batteries)
    Headhunter Pirate: 3.5lbs
    X-terra 70: 2.9lbs

Are you looking to take a high-end detector and modify it to save weight, or do you want something that is ultralight out of the box?

Thanks
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

us
    May 2010
    New York

Re: Metal detector size - backpack fit?

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions

My main concern is "not to look conspicuous".

Besides populated beaches, I have scouted some prospective sites that will I want to try, and one of them in particular has a "No metal detectors allowed" sign posted. Now, I normally am a law-abiding citizen but sometimes I do have a problem with authorities, especially with my tax-hungry local authorities, when I feel they're pushing the line...therefore I'll take my chances. The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that. The only thing I want to take care is to look like an usual tourist, and not like a scavenger from the beginning. Concealed metal detector is what I have in my mind, but that would be another topic. I take what is available.

@Jeep: Garrett backpack definitely a no, as it's inscribed; Good idea checking with my local dealer next time we speak, the one I spoke to last week already promised me a good deal about the machine, as they come in. They only don't have White's. Also they have some great sand scoops, that will be a second issue to cover.
    @AUDuke, BamaBill, Lasivian: Must be underwater proof, I do snorkeling/diving.
    @Iron Patch: I did some research, and I believe all of the above could work well for my needs as a beginner's hobby. Excal II of course is my first choice.

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
    6 times

I alo have a Tesoro micro Max that I put in a water proof box. Light weight, small and works great. You can buy a Tesoro Compadre new for less than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc37
    Thank you all for your answers and suggestions

My main concern is "not to look conspicuous".

Besides populated beaches, I have scouted some prospective sites that will I want to try, and one of them in particular has a "No metal detectors allowed" sign posted. Now, I normally am a law-abiding citizen but sometimes I do have a problem with authorities, especially with my tax-hungry local authorities, when I feel they're pushing the line...therefore I'll take my chances. The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that. The only thing I want to take care is to look like an usual tourist, and not like a scavenger from the beginning. Concealed metal detector is what I have in my mind, but that would be another topic. I take what is available.

"The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that."

But it's us who will have to deal with the bad press. You'd probably be surprised how much damage a single person can do to this hobby.
    PirateLabs likes this.

us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    But it's us who will have to deal with the bad press. You'd probably be surprised how much damage a single person can do to this hobby.
    Aye, unfortunately I must agree with that.
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

us
    May 2010
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

Errrmm... sorry, but that's not me you should be worrying about, I know about cleaning after myself. And not intruding upon private properties or protected monuments. It's just beaches and shoreline.

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6844 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

If you REALLY want an easily backpackable detector, there is not a better choice than an Eric Foster Goldquest Aquasearch. Eric Foster is recognized worldwide as one of the Fathers of modern Pulse Induction Metal Detectors. White's licensed Foster's designs for their latest PI Machine.

Here is a link to the company that sells Foster Detectors in the US:

http://www.surfscanner.com/Surfscan3/Aquasearch1.html

By the way, I have no financial interest in Eric Foster, his detectors, or the company that sells them.

Best-Mike
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad, because I back up my rage with hard facts and logic!" - The Credible Hulk

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

us
    May 2010
    New York

Thanks Mike,
    I've read about Aquasearch. But they're pricey and hard to get. Good craftmanship out there

us
    Barber

Jun 2005
    Yakima,WA
    XTerra 70 Xterra 705
    5 times

Bamabill , might I ask why you prefer the XT70 over the XT705? Just curious.

us
    Nov 2006
    N. Alabama
    Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
    14 times
    Relic Hunting

Barber, sent you a PM.
    Relic hunting consists of a series of misadventures interspersed by occasional moments of glory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links