Metal detector size - backpack fit?

nyc37

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2010
New York
Hi, to all members of this great forum.

Looking to buy a new detector. I have a question regarding the size and packing of most popular brands,
for users who have owned them. Silly as it may sound, but my decision will be based on the size and weight of this thing... :-\

Basically I am looking for one that can be carried in a backpack including the shaft, if possible.
From what I read some of them can be folded. Having never used or owned one... :dontknow:

Brands that I am considering:

Minelab Excal II
Whites Surf PI Pro Dual Field
Fisher CZ-21/1280x
Headhunter Pirate

I have an Under Armour backpack some 13"-wide X 9"-deep X 18"-high,
I would like to be able to fit the thing in when going to the beach.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Metal detector size - backpacking issue

Welcome to Tnet :icon_thumright:

Actually that is not as silly as it sounds. Getting to some areas require a backpackable detector.

Any detector can be collapsed or broken down to its components.

After making my own shafts and trying other things I found the best solution was to just buy the
Garrett Detectorists Backpack.

You can google that and find it for about 50 bucks. It carry's all garrett metal detectors and I have found that it fits most of all other brands too because I don't have a garrett's.

It carry's the detector inside but also can carry one outside without being collapsed. It also has a
ton of room for extra coils, pans, lunch, drinks, and all kinds of stuff.

Detectors are like tools, you need the right one for the job. I like being able to use the detector I want
for what I am looking for (coins, relics, gold, etc) and knowing I can take it with me.

I guess what I am trying to get at is dollar, cent's and simplicity. It would be cheaper and easier to get a backpack built for that purpose then buying a detector based on it's portability.

Don't be in a rush to buy a detector or this backpack, there are some great folks & dealers that may be along directly and probably come up with a better idea or suggestion. that's the great thing about this forum, you may get a ton of options to consider. :wink:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Another option would be to get a used X-terra 70, as they go for a good price, have a prospecting mode, and break down to pieces easy to stow in a pack. I have one and prefer it over the X-terra 705 I had. I have no financial interest in Minelab, just a satisfied user.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is as silly as it sounds and don't pick that way. You definitely want to pay a lot more attention to what you buy because pretty much all of them will easily fit in a large backpack. From your choices it is clear you are new because those are VERY different type detectors. Don't make an expensive mistake!

I can easily fit my Minelab Explorer in my backpack and it would fall in the range of being a larger modern detector.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

I have a modified Tesoro Micro Max with a 5.75 coil that fits in a fanny pac with room for other stuff.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Supposedly these detectors weigh in as follows:

(Might or might not include batteries)
Excalibur 2: 4lbs.
White's Surf pro: 5lbs
Fisher 1280x: 4lbs
Tesoro Micro Max: 2.2lbs

(including batteries)
Headhunter Pirate: 3.5lbs
X-terra 70: 2.9lbs

Are you looking to take a high-end detector and modify it to save weight, or do you want something that is ultralight out of the box?

Thanks

OP
OP
nyc37

nyc37

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2010
New York
Thank you all for your answers and suggestions :icon_thumleft:

My main concern is "not to look conspicuous".

Besides populated beaches, I have scouted some prospective sites that will I want to try, and one of them in particular has a "No metal detectors allowed" sign posted. Now, I normally am a law-abiding citizen but sometimes I do have a problem with authorities, especially with my tax-hungry local authorities, when I feel they're pushing the line...therefore I'll take my chances. The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that. The only thing I want to take care is to look like an usual tourist, and not like a scavenger from the beginning. Concealed metal detector is what I have in my mind, but that would be another topic. I take what is available.

@Jeep: Garrett backpack definitely a no, as it's inscribed; Good idea checking with my local dealer next time we speak, the one I spoke to last week already promised me a good deal about the machine, as they come in. They only don't have White's. Also they have some great sand scoops, that will be a second issue to cover.
@AUDuke, BamaBill, Lasivian: Must be underwater proof, I do snorkeling/diving.
@Iron Patch: I did some research, and I believe all of the above could work well for my needs as a beginner's hobby. Excal II of course is my first choice.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I alo have a Tesoro micro Max that I put in a water proof box. Light weight, small and works great. You can buy a Tesoro Compadre new for less than $200.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nyc37 said:

Besides populated beaches, I have scouted some prospective sites that will I want to try, and one of them in particular has a "No metal detectors allowed" sign posted. Now, I normally am a law-abiding citizen but sometimes I do have a problem with authorities, especially with my tax-hungry local authorities, when I feel they're pushing the line...therefore I'll take my chances. The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that. The only thing I want to take care is to look like an usual tourist, and not like a scavenger from the beginning. Concealed metal detector is what I have in my mind, but that would be another topic. I take what is available.

"The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that."

But it's us who will have to deal with the bad press. You'd probably be surprised how much damage a single person can do to this hobby.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Iron Patch said:
But it's us who will have to deal with the bad press. You'd probably be surprised how much damage a single person can do to this hobby.
Aye, unfortunately I must agree with that.

OP
OP
nyc37

nyc37

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2010
New York
Iron Patch said:

Errrmm... sorry, but that's not me you should be worrying about, I know about cleaning after myself. And not intruding upon private properties or protected monuments. It's just beaches and shoreline.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you REALLY want an easily backpackable detector, there is not a better choice than an Eric Foster Goldquest Aquasearch. Eric Foster is recognized worldwide as one of the Fathers of modern Pulse Induction Metal Detectors. White's licensed Foster's designs for their latest PI Machine.

Here is a link to the company that sells Foster Detectors in the US:

http://www.surfscanner.com/Surfscan3/Aquasearch1.html

By the way, I have no financial interest in Eric Foster, his detectors, or the company that sells them.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
nyc37

nyc37

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2010
New York
Thanks Mike,
I've read about Aquasearch. But they're pricey and hard to get. Good craftmanship out there :notworthy:

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Bamabill , might I ask why you prefer the XT70 over the XT705? Just curious.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Barber, sent you a PM.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

I have a 1280X. Very easy to use beginner machine that you can chest mount like I do and hunt all day long. Great machine for water and land. It would easily break down and fit in the bag you have.
Good Luck.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro umax detectors are extremely lightweight and backpackable. Just factor in a set of headphones that will be needed.
You could also remove and replace the controlbox from the handle to be a bit more compact. In order to do this you have to replace the screw that holds the box in place with a Thumbscrew.
assembly1.gif

Another detector is the Detectorpro units, everything is inside the headphones and stow in backpacks nicely. Since there is no control box, from a distance it looks like your just walking with your head low listening to your radio. Just add a pair of black sunglasses and you'll look like a blind person swinging his walking stick.......A black Piratepro might be just what your looking for.
pirate-pro.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/id37.html

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
NYC37, I too was looking for a backpack that would fit my detector without having to take it all apart. I wanted to just unscrew the coil connector and remove the lower stem. I wanted to be able to quickly put it together or take it apart as needed. I ride an Eton scooter into the woods behind one of our Dams and a backpack would be perfect.

I finally found one at Walmart. I threw the tags away from it already but it has a pouch for a water bladder and everything. The name on the top is "Outdoor" and it does fit my T2 with it only broken down as I mentioned.

I hope that helps.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
nyc37 said:

"The most I could risk is a fine and confiscation of my tools. I can deal with that."

Exactly.
I agree again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread