If you could take one metal detector with you on a sailboat...

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
What would you get?

I have a White's XLT right now with a bunch of mods but it's lack of saltwater abilities makes it a poor fit for the job.

I'm figuring I'll be doing mostly saltwater beach hunting and underwater hunting, but probably above-ground parks and the like too. I go after coins and jewelry mainly, not much interest in relics.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Minelab Excal.

The other thing I need to figure out is metal detecting laws in foreign nations, argh.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Excal and your XLT for land or just as a back up.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian said:
The XLT is big tho and space is limited. Plus time spent away from salt water is likely to be low.

Then Excal alone it is! :thumbsup:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take my Tesoro Tiger Shark...On my Laguna 26 sailboat...and I already have! Niffler

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
niffler said:
I would take my Tesoro Tiger Shark...On my Laguna 26 sailboat...and I already have! Niffler
Nice, I'm planning to get something akin to a 35' Columbia and outfitting it for bluewater.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian said:
niffler said:
Nice, I'm planning to get something akin to a 35' Columbia and outfitting it for bluewater.
Don't go to the Gulf, theres only Black water down there...

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Fisher 1280X with the chest mount and 8inch coil mder.gif

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't like sailboats................The truth is i really hate sail boats...........So i could not take a detector on a sail boat..........

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 257
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 286
M

miser

My vote would be either the Tesoro Tiger Shark or the Minelab Excalibur II. If you plan on spending a lot of time chest deep in the water, you probably want to go with the Excal.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher CZ-20 (or the new 21.)
I'm always on the hunt for a better "all-around" machine but I haven't found it yet. Super depth, great descrimination capabilities, and the housing can be easily and snugly mounted to your waist with the simple and quick belt attachment. I've hunted in just about every condition for just about everything worth hunting and this machine has always performed exceptionally well for me. I bought mine not too long after they first came out and it's been my #1 all purpose machine ever since. The only problems I ever had with it were my fault (left battery door open in salt water) and Fisher repaired it free and got it back to me in less then 30 days turn-around, also sent me extra battery compartment seals and an extra battery compartment door at no charge.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right now it would have to be the Excalibut as they are not making the Tiger shark right now because of the clip issue....Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Love the idea, but the sailboat is way too much work for me. So it's off with the CZ-20 and the green hulk to a rock bed at an old river crossing.

Attachments

• paddlin-out.JPG
    paddlin-out.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 227

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Get an excal. Spend enough time hunting beaches to earn enough money for a motor.

Otherwise, get any detector with a huge solid coil so you can use it as a paddle if you ever want to get anywhere.

I know this will outrage any true sailors, which is the whole point. :laughing9:

-Fathead

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Motor boats are used by "Smokers", just watch Waterworld and see! Niffler

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am with ...lobatts.....sailboats are to much work and a pain in the A$$...........I have to say again i don't like sailboats i hate sail boats.....but in my little Suzuki speed boat i would take a Excalibur.

Attachments

• 100_1091.jpg
    100_1091.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 187

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
The only sailboat that is remotely worthwhile is the Attocha. :laughing7:

Although it is fun to occasionally tow you off the rocks or back to the dock when the wind dies.

Fair winds and following seas.

-FH

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what brand, I wouldn't even think of taking an 'non-water' detector onboard any boat other than for a day trip and it was warm. The humidity and moisture for days on end will totally eat the electronics...or anything for that matter if it's not stainless or plastic. Firearms on boats don't do well unless they are stainless or composites.

I would think if you were doing 'blue water' that means saltwater. Some of the machines recommended above do not work well in saltwater. The Tesoro is one. I have two and use them in freshwater. They don't work worth a darn in the saltwater. Get a PI or get an Excalibur. The PI you dig everything as there is almost no discrimination. The Excal you can tune out lots of the iron and still get the goodies. I got rid of my Excalibur because I was one of those that had reliability issues with it. Guess I got the lemon. Others have used the same one for years with zero problems. If you spent the time to get there on a boat, you want something you know is going to turn on a work when you arrive. jim

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would pack a Tiger Shark by Tesoro...That is my primary water machine...it can be used on land as well. Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions