🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you Can't discriminate out cans, Sorry.

At certain Depth, you can tell the Difference with Practice,
BUT even that isn't 100% accurate.

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
One way to check for larger objects is to raise coil and sweep over target and notice how much higher it beeps verses a coin sized object and in pinpoint mode you'll notice how long it takes for the coil to pass by the target , the coin sized targets have a much smaller footprint. A lot of the digging decisions i guess are based on site conditions and when in doubt dig it :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GTI 2500 will make an off key tone that has always proven to be an aluminum beer or soda can. But another way is to locate the center of the signal and raise your coil off the ground slowly until it is about 4". high. If the tone remains pretty much the same it is usually a can. If the tone fades noticeably it is possibly a large coin or token. That's the way it works for my BH detector. Notice I say usually and possibly....the only way to know for sure is to dig. Burry a can and test out different things with your detector you just might find a good way to tell Monty.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with beer cans? How can anyone have problems beer cans? ;D One at a time isn't bad, now digging up a 6 pack all in one hole on the beach, now that's fun. You wanna hear a detector scream. Don't worry it comes with the territory, you'll get used to it.

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
At us too many iron dust, a fuse from beer and banks from under Cola, But I have learned to define on a sound and an arrangement of the gauge, that under the ground dust or a relic, And it in view of that that my detector has no discrimination and my finds all of you speak for yourselves them saw:)

N

nutso

Ususally with my XLT it's in the high 90's or gives an overload, and says it's 1 1/2" down. I probe it and see it's much deeper. 99.99% of the time it was a crushed can. You can feel it with the probe. Now once I probe it I move on.

Dale-IL

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2005
Southwestern IL.
I was hunting with my T-2 the other day and got a loud signal. I thought it was a can, even after raising the coil it sounded like a can, but I dug it anyway. Got a 1939 Walking Liberty Half.

Attachments

• Half.jpg
    Half.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 329

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Dale-IL said:
I was hunting with my T-2 the other day and got a loud signal. I thought it was a can, even after raising the coil it sounded like a can, but I dug it anyway. Got a 1939 Walking Liberty Half.

This is why we dig cans and pulltabs...simple as that.

Good find!!

J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread