Tot Lots

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Two silver rings last weekend, three total (May and June). It is like any other type of spot. If you research better neighborhoods, you will find better items. I have started to look for bigger community playgrounds in nice neighborhoods, private schools, public schools next to ballparks that get used on the weekends. Any place you have moms and dads frequently, you have a chance to score a ring around the swings or charms around the slides.

Good luck

-Fathead

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
found 1.5 gram kids 10k ring, and clad ands lots of paper clips, dont hit them much.
Mike

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really a hit or miss proposition, most of the time I only find some clad coins.
but in the years I have hunted and done these, (Tot lots to include school playgrounds)
I have found virtually every kind of thing.
Total over the Years I have maybe taken 5 - 6 gold rings (10 -14k)
several nice silver rings, and trinkets of all descriptions...
But your hope to do it on any given Tot lot is about 5%.... I would say...
But yes it happens and yes occasionally you can find a gold ring or chain or medallion.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a couple silver rings and I have found a gold neglace. I find a lot of jewerly charms. Some are silver and other is junk charms.....Matt

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to add go very slow around the slides and swings.
Turn off the dis and turn up the sen!!! learn how your detector is the closer you get to the metal frames of the play equipment and you will find the other items along with more trash!!!! trash= better find's most of the time!!!!

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I can say is that my first piece of jewelry was at a playground. Turned out silver with a huge CZ. Basically, don't quit your day job to hunt tot lots.

Jack

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually found a 1858 flying eagle penny and an Indian Head penny with no date! I have no idea how they got there. Also have found several silver rings and charms. Most of the time it is just clad, but you never know.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt tot lots every now and then for the jewelry. Other than clad I have found rings, bracelets, trinkets and other pieces. The tot lots are very easy to hunt as most have the wood chips. Someone posted finding a silver morgan dollar they found in a tot lot a while back. I guess you never know what these kids have in their pockets.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tot lots are my bread and butter. I hunt for old coins during off season but I love mining those tot lots best of all. Here is some of the gold I've found just since the first of the year.

frstqtrgold.jpg

jlasserton

May 16, 2010
Nashville
I have never found anything of any value. I have only done this a few time though. I like the idea of going to a bigger community to search. Nicer neighborhoods and schools will usually mean nicer treasures found. I have plans this month to go to a few different areas and will be trying out everyone's recommendations.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I have not found anything but newer coins in tot lots, lots of coins. But with the woods growing in making detecting the woods more difficult I'm going to start detecting tot lots more often.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Digger said:
Tot lots are my bread and butter. I hunt for old coins during off season but I love mining those tot lots best of all. Here is some of the gold I've found just since the first of the year.

frstqtrgold.jpg

Wow, you are in the gold mine Digger. I hit all the school playgrounds but I seem to always be late for the goodys. I did get a 14k ring with a CZ this year though. I can't imagine finding that much gold in tot lots.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'm with Digger, but nicer neighborhoods do not prodcue the quantity that poorer neighborhoods deliver. Simple matter of fact in this town.

I have playgrounds on my route that have turned up 10 gold rings in two year spans besides the chains, religious medals and change in some lousy neighborhoods, meanwhile those totlots in the nicer parts of town deliver little other than coinage with mostly cheap boutique jewelry.

Same goes for the schoolyard playgrounds. The lower the economic indicators are in a neighborhood, the higher the quantity of goods and coinage will be, at least around here.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Digger, but nicer neighborhoods do not prodcue the quantity that poorer neighborhoods deliver. Simple matter of fact in this town.

I have playgrounds on my route that have turned up 10 gold rings in two year spans besides the chains, religious medals and change in some lousy neighborhoods, meanwhile those totlots in the nicer parts of town deliver little other than coinage with mostly cheap boutique jewelry.

Same goes for the schoolyard playgrounds. The lower the economic indicators are in a neighborhood, the higher the quantity of goods and coinage will be, at least around here.

Exactly my results. I have a tot lot up near the Country Club(up north) that has NEVER produced anything good ever. Sunnyside School(down south) is in a poorer neighborhood and has produced more gold than any other tot lot. In fact my record of 4 pieces of gold(1 14k bracelet, 1 10k necklace, 1 14k ring and a 14k pendent) all in less than 15 minutes was from this tot lot.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did find a 14k gold earring in a tot lot about 2 mo. ago i find more buttons, rivets and snaps from tight pants than pull tabs.

ameangreenbean

Greenie
Jun 6, 2010
Digger said:

frstqtrgold.jpg

WOW! All hail the "Tot Lot". I was considering going in the early mornings when no one is around. When do you typically go?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Never let the sun rise without you brother. Hit it and get it, get out and then enjoy. Never do a "happy dance" in public, even if no one is in sight of you, you may well be in sight of someone.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I only find clad around the equipment. But it gets better around the picneck tables where the adults sit. Its also good around the ball diamonds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread