How do you carry your equipment

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
Let me state my situation so maybe you can provide better feedback. I am an upper extremity amputee, right arm at shoulder. Left arm, shoulder, wrist, hand and fingers have little function and a gross grip only, no independent dexterity and minimal feeling. Besides my detector, I use a garden trowel digger, transplant shovel that is 30" long with a 5" curved spade, and my pro-pointer. Thinking along the lines of a kid's golf bag to carry these acc. tools. What opinions/feedback do you have. Also, after reviewing vids of machines, seems like the Fisher F4 would be my best upgrade choice over my BHQDII because the pinpoint feature doesn't have to be held in while using it. Push it on and it stays on until you take it off. My hand/finger dexterity doesn't allow me to position it to do that. Any feedback on the Fisher F4?

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear a vest to keep your garden trowel and pinpointer in (it will also act as a finds pouch, with all its pockets). Then use a short handled shovel that has an enclosed handle on the top. Tie a string or nylon rope loop through the handle and sling it over your shoulder and neck.

:thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, like Buckles said, maybe a hunting vest if you can get a good combination of pockets that suit your reach and dexterity.

The F4 sounds like the fit for you but I have no experience with it either. I have a CZ20 with the modified pinpoint button you mentioned. Tap on, tap off.

Go get 'em!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to think more on this.... but have you ever considered using a swing harness to take most the weight of your detector? If grip strength is a problem it may help, and will also open up your choices for future detectors as the weight will not be an issue. Just making sure you are aware there are such devices.

PS... Just thought after the fact, you probably have to have your detector arm free when digging out the target, or using the pinpointer.... and a harness would be a hassel.

Attachments

• swingythingy.JPG
    swingythingy.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 236

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I use a five gallon bucket that I have modified to hold all my tools and to act as a seat when I want to sit down.
I like it because I can carry all my tools plus I can put finds and trash in it. I modified a small plastic container (crystal light)
to hold the coins and other small finds. I have foot problems and sometimes I want to take a break, if I put the tools in
the bucket I can use it as a seat. The bucket is just a five gallon bucket and the blue cover is from a five gallon bucket
of laundry detergent from costco, it seems to fit any five gallon bucket. Maybe you can modify it to work for you, maybe
a strap to go over your shoulder. I've been grounded for the last two months with diabetic foot problems but its healing nice
and I hope to be back out next month, good luck finding a solution.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_7702.JPG
    100_7702.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_7702.JPG
    100_7702.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 241

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gambler13 said:
Let me state my situation so maybe you can provide better feedback. I am an upper extremity amputee, right arm at shoulder. Left arm, shoulder, wrist, hand and fingers have little function and a gross grip only, no independent dexterity and minimal feeling. Besides my detector, I use a garden trowel digger, transplant shovel that is 30" long with a 5" curved spade, and my pro-pointer. Thinking along the lines of a kid's golf bag to carry these acc. tools. What opinions/feedback do you have. Also, after reviewing vids of machines, seems like the Fisher F4 would be my best upgrade choice over my BHQDII because the pinpoint feature doesn't have to be held in while using it. Push it on and it stays on until you take it off. My hand/finger dexterity doesn't allow me to position it to do that. Any feedback on the Fisher F4?

If you decide to drag your shovel this might work in combination. A dual hammer type nail pouch for your trowel and probe. I use one that has a stainlesss steel slot for the hammer, and I used tape wrapped around to make my digger fit. On the one below, you could wrap the top of your digger and probe with some hockey tape like the top of a hockey stick. (if they want to fall through) Anyway, there's so many types of these leather pouches you might find one to suit.

Other than dragging, or your small golfbag idea, it's a hell of a thing to come up with other ideas for your shovel.

Attachments

• DRA72922.jpg
    DRA72922.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 174

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread