dealers who set up at hunts and shows

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i just attended a competition event. as usual a few

dealers are around and set up booths.

i have never seen anyone buy a machine this way.

everyone just kinda ignores their little store.

or might buy a small accessory.

i asked if the guy had an xxx model i could try

well he has in box if i want to buy it

but it wouldnt be possible to assemble it to try.

these guys go to great expense .driving to events

, setting up, inventory, even many times donating

prizes to the hunt.

why not have a few DEMO UNITS around..

BIG SIGN...saying TRY OUR MACHINES...put ur hands on one

joe here will show you how easy OUR BRAND is to use.or comfortable

or: TRY A DEPTH TEST. WE WILL PROVE OUR MACHINES

GO DEEPER. the 10 to 20 percent that the dealer would end up

having to discount when selling the demo should ez offset by more

sales. it seems so logical to me.

but im not a dealer.

i have been to BOTH larger week long events.

gold shows etc.

and the usual dealer guys setting around looking

long faced. sometimes i wanted to buy something

just to cheer them up.

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT AM I MISSING HERE .

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Well, seems to me the majority of the people at a hunt already would own a machine or two (or a lot more). ;D
Maybe buy something like a coil or some other accessory.

It's not like some random guy just happens to be walking down the street and makes a turn to this show,
spends 10 minutes talking about how he wanted a detector as a kid, and chooses a $500-1000+ machine
with no research done. Might as well sell them at the mall next to the guy selling fake perfumes.

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
SYKO said:
Well, seems to me the majority of the people at a hunt already would own a machine or two (or a lot more). ;D
Maybe buy something like a coil or some other accessory.

It's not like some random guy just happens to be walking down the street and makes a turn to this show,
spends 10 minutes talking about how he wanted a detector as a kid, and chooses a $500-1000+ machine
with no research done. Might as well sell them at the mall next to the guy selling fake perfumes.
well i dunno.....sure, ur preachin 2 the choir.

most detector freaks own 2 or more machines...

but as always interested in any edge a machine may offer

they have seen other brand machines. read about them on forums.

and the manfacturers literature.everything except try it..

THATS THE POINT .TRY B4 BUY. AND HEAD 2 HEAD

COMPARISON.

maybe dealers like it better the way it is....people arent

sure what works and end up buying a lot . just to

see if it will help improve my finds. and on to the next

better one. producing annother used unit for sale

NO ONE REALLY WANTS TO DO HEAD TO HEAD COMP

ANYWAY. ive tried to get some folks to do this. a few

times. they are scared that their unit wont measure up.

damn.yer 300 machine smokes my 900 machine.

of course realizing settings.soil cond etc. can all change things.

and many folk never take time to read their manual.

SO TRYING TO SAY: i would like to see hands on demos

by dealers OR ANYONE. everyone benefits.

in closing i would tell the story of 2 ACE 250 users..

a very common machine. not pointing out garrett just happens

to be.

so they were both happy with what they were finding.

UNTIL THEY COMPARED...

one was a newby and his machine was only getting about

half the depth it should have.definately defective

garrett sent him a nother one. bingo he doubles his finds.

would have never known ...COMPARISON TESTING !!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many dealers that come to these events don't do it to sell machines there, only to interest you in purchasing their brand. To compare detectors there at that location is subject to to many things that could go wrong, such as interference on his brand. He knows that may will play with his "demo" and then thinking they'll get a better deal off the Internet. Some will call the big K to place an order and end up paying shipping for all the "free" junk.

Those dealers will also get guys that want free advice about how to use their detector and have no intention of buying anything from that dealer. To open a box and assemble a good detector for some nimrod to twist the buttons the wrong way loses him lots of money on that detector. To have to send it back for repair voids the warranty and he can't sell it for even his cost. He can then rent them out if he can't sell them as used where he loses money again.

When I worked at a detecting store the boss wouldn't allow me to help someone with the operation of their detector unless it was bought there at the store. We didn't stock treasure magazines because of all the one page advertisments for a large store. We had most detectors at the same price too, and there was no shipping cost as you got to carry it out of the store with you fully assembled and tested.

At shows where we had a booth, we couldn't leave to get food or all the stuff would disappear so we had to come as an group. We had detectors on display for playing with at the store, but not at shows.

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Many dealers that come to these events don't do it to sell machines there, only to interest you in purchasing their brand. To compare detectors there at that location is subject to to many things that could go wrong, such as interference on his brand. He knows that may will play with his "demo" and then thinking they'll get a better deal off the Internet. Some will call the big K to place an order and end up paying shipping for all the "free" junk.

Those dealers will also get guys that want free advice about how to use their detector and have no intention of buying anything from that dealer. To open a box and assemble a good detector for some nimrod to twist the buttons the wrong way loses him lots of money on that detector. To have to send it back for repair voids the warranty and he can't sell it for even his cost. He can then rent them out if he can't sell them as used where he loses money again.

When I worked at a detecting store the boss wouldn't allow me to help someone with the operation of their detector unless it was bought there at the store. We didn't stock treasure magazines because of all the one page advertisments for a large store. We had most detectors at the same price too, and there was no shipping cost as you got to carry it out of the store with you fully assembled and tested.

At shows where we had a booth, we couldn't leave to get food or all the stuff would disappear so we had to come as an group. We had detectors on display for playing with at the store, but not at shows.

thats a well thought out reply from someone who

has been there.

i guess im kinda gullible i never thought about people

grabbin stuff.

to me detectin people iz good people and i havent

even been locking my car during small and medium events

which i guess needs to change.

i guess the internet is the big factor here.

i hadnt thought about how often people wanna play around

w stuff then not buy.or return it later.

also there is probably a blurred line between factory reps

or promoters and actual dealers.

the dealer wants u to buy now....from him.

the factory guy yeah he has them for sale

but he succeeds if u buy his brand now,later, or even used.

on the big K.....

much as i dislike them,i guess this might be the only

place where they would be BIG ENUF to have a detector

test area. i had heard that they have or had one.

anyone know.....

then its the free junk vs full service local thing.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
scrounger said:
i just attended a competition event. as usual a few

dealers are around and set up booths.

i have never seen anyone buy a machine this way.

everyone just kinda ignores their little store.

or might buy a small accessory.

i asked if the guy had an xxx model i could try

well he has in box if i want to buy it

but it wouldnt be possible to assemble it to try.

these guys go to great expense .driving to events

, setting up, inventory, even many times donating

prizes to the hunt.

why not have a few DEMO UNITS around..

BIG SIGN...saying TRY OUR MACHINES...put ur hands on one

joe here will show you how easy OUR BRAND is to use.or comfortable

or: TRY A DEPTH TEST. WE WILL PROVE OUR MACHINES

GO DEEPER. the 10 to 20 percent that the dealer would end up

having to discount when selling the demo should ez offset by more

sales. it seems so logical to me.

but im not a dealer.

i have been to BOTH larger week long events.

gold shows etc.

and the usual dealer guys setting around looking

long faced. sometimes i wanted to buy something

just to cheer them up.

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT AM I MISSING HERE .
Many a men drove my etrac around the block and kicked her tires at these type of shows.
I agree with you. I'd be more apt to buy a machine myself if I tried it first..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
scrounger said:
Sandman said:

thats a well thought out reply from someone who

has been there.

i guess im kinda gullible i never thought about people

grabbin stuff.

to me detectin people iz good people and i havent

even been locking my car during small and medium events

which i guess needs to change.

i guess the internet is the big factor here.

i hadnt thought about how often people wanna play around

w stuff then not buy.or return it later.

also there is probably a blurred line between factory reps

or promoters and actual dealers.

the dealer wants u to buy now....from him.

the factory guy yeah he has them for sale

but he succeeds if u buy his brand now,later, or even used.

on the big K.....

much as i dislike them,i guess this might be the only

place where they would be BIG ENUF to have a detector

test area. i had heard that they have or had one.

anyone know.....

then its the free junk vs full service local thing.
It don't matter what hobby you are in to or what ever you do there are always someone that will steal you blind if they get a chance................ If you think that all that use metal detectors are honest people you do live in a dream world...........

Attachments

• 006_DL.gif
    006_DL.gif
    68.1 KB · Views: 250

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many local dealers don't advertise, so a competition hunt with a couple hundred people is a good way to let people know you are in business. I bought my Minelab last year only to find out I had a local Minelab dealer right here in town. I would have gone with him if I had known he was in the business before I bought mine. Now I know and I will probably go see him next time I need something. I know of a lot of people who have gone to visit his shop after the competition hunt is held. So, even if you don't sell any detectors at the hunt, you have made a lot of contacts that otherwise didn't know about your business. It's a win win situation. Monty

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
In my area there are only a couple of dealers to choose from anyway unless you want to go with one of the big mail order companies. Personally I prefer the one on one customer service you get from dealing with a local shop where you can go & hang out and talk shop with the owner. Those are the same guys that set up at the local hunts & while they may not make any large sales at the event they are getting their name out there as the guys to go to for all your detecting needs. If you live in a large city where there may be several dealers that may not be the case but I'm betting that in most parts of the country the small storefront shops are few & far between and are a popular hangout for the local guys. The one I frequent always has a few back issues of the popular treasure hunting magazines for sale cheap, books, tools & accessories, used detectors they took in trade, as well as the latest & greatest new models & a friendly face to talk to when you have problems or questions. Ours even has a large collection of his finds on display for you to look at. You won't get that from dealing with a mail order superstore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions