Pick the best coin machine – for this purpose...

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be spending the day searching all areas of a small popular old city park. Your purpose is to find as many old (1964 and earlier) coins as possible. Ground mineralization is low but trash levels run from medium to fairly high. You will be searching for all denominations equally. No denomination will be singled out or passed over in favor of others. You will be provided with the detector and recovery tools of your choice. You may keep this detector afterward but only if you find enough old coins. You must choose the detector that you feel would be best for this purpose; not necessarily the one you want, or your personal favorite, or the one you are most comfortable with. It must be the machine that you believe would find the most old coins under these conditions. This detector must be a new 2010 model that retails for under $1,000. Any training that you require to become completely proficient with this detector will be provided beforehand. What model will you choose? ???

Upvote 0

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga, I understand your point despite having to weed through some unpleasantries to find it.

But if someone were to take the advice given by FelinePeachy based on that post, it would most likely be someone newer to detecting, and they would more than likely not be disappointed with the purchase. Someone who is ready for an upgrade machine would more than likely have enough basic knowledge to not rely on a comment like that alone for a decision.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mclmorizfat said:
Bazinga, I understand your point despite having to weed through some unpleasantries to find it.

But if someone were to take the advice given by FelinePeachy based on that post, it would most likely be someone newer to detecting, and they would more than likely not be disappointed with the purchase. Someone who is ready for an upgrade machine would more than likely have enough basic knowledge to not rely on a comment like that alone for a decision.

Based on her post in this thread, somebody would be disappointed. This thread is somebody ask for the best machine for detecting old coins in a public park. The Ace 250 fails miserably in that respect.

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Based on your guidelines it would be a new CZ3D with a 5 inch coil.It gets great depth and seperation in the trash.You will dig more coins and old coins with this combo than anything else.Been there done this repeatedly.The CZ was the King.

OP
OP
mrwilburino

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Already got the 3D. Not sure if I'm going to get the 5" coil though, the stock 8" performs pretty well in the trashy spots.

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Well, here's the scoop (pun intended), I can't speak for all machines, for I haven't tried them all. I can, however, speak for the Whites M6 and I've mentioned it in other posts, it's a coin vacuum. For example, I have a park and a school yard here that I hunt that is LOADED with tabs, cans, chunks of aluminum n diff. metals, and because of the different tones and ID is pretty darn accurate, I pick out coins WITH the stock coil with ease. I have become a foolish coin snob and pass up a LOT of pennies, but without even looking I know what coins I sweep just from all the tones. Prejudice? Nah, the only machine I can give an honest opinion on. I want to win this cyber contest, and would GLADLY take another M6 for my prize! :read2:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..This Site gets crazy when someones opinon is asked...I know from my Exp. with my ACE 250...When I go to old parks i have to turn down the sensitivity due to high trash.. but doing so this i can only get down around 4 inches in trshy areas..and when i do find coins..they are no no earlier then the 70's - 80's...and i have found the new state quarters down that deep as well

I was actually wondering the same thing..i want a machine that goes deep and works weel in trashy areas
I have found about 60 dollars in Clad..and 4 wheat pennies..but i still havent found pre 64 silver

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digg-N-Dumps,

You might benefit from lonely duckhunters first post on this thread. He mentions how he approached hunting a trashy park. Leaves the sensitivity at normal and digs everything. After a while we were able to become more selective and use the features of our individual detectors to make good and even better (older) finds deeper. If you are no longer getting good finds from your park I would give it a try.

Ed D.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sovereign GT for reasons already pointed out above. The Sovereign is not the detector that does everything, but it comes respectably close.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
Digg-N-Dumps,

You might benefit from lonely duckhunters first post on this thread. He mentions how he approached hunting a trashy park. Leaves the sensitivity at normal and digs everything. After a while we were able to become more selective and use the features of our individual detectors to make good and even better (older) finds deeper. If you are no longer getting good finds from your park I would give it a try.

Ed D.

Hey Thanks for the info..again i am new at this and have learned the little funny things the Ace does..sometimes it just seems crazy to gett all the tabs and bottle lids out of the way..there like ants all over the ground...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread