Whats a logical step up from the Garrett 250?

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
What's a logical step up from the Garrett 250?

Been at this madness for less than a month now, but I am completely hooked. I cannot drive anywhere without wondering whether certain areas might be good to hunt. In any case, I'm thinking about giving my son the 250, as his present cheep detector doesn't pinpoint worth a darn, and am going to move upstream. I'm especially interested in a little more depth capability. Any suggestions from the group? My budget is around $750. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
M

miser

Re: What's a logical step up from the Garrett 250?

In your case I would give serious consideration to to the Minelab X-Terra 705 if you like LCD display or the Tesoro Vaquero if you're confortable with audio. They are both excellent macihines in that price range with excellent depth capabilities.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Have you checked out the Minelab Xterra's? Maybe a new Whites MXT Pro that is soon to be released. If considering used then possibilities abound. I vote Xterra.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No question... a used Explorer II or SE with pro coil if you can find one for your price. If you're going to step up, STEP UP!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

You could go with a used explorer, as Iron-patch says, but unless you have someone local there, who's good with it (ie.: routinely comes in with the oldies, verses a sand-box hunter), you might not like it. It's very sound specific, and is not at all like the Ace 250. Your best bet with an explorer, is to hook up with an ace, and flag targets to sample back and forth. Only *then* will the "lights go on", and you might love the explorer too. No amount of printed text or instruction manuals can convey things like sounds, so this is why the explorer is one of those type machines you probably need to have someone show you. Or else, get ready for a nerve-wracking flock of sick geese symphony sounds to learn by "hard knocks".

Another option, assuming you're just hunting run-of-the-mill type relic and coin spots (turf, demolition, ruins, sand, etc.. for coins/relics), is to find an old Whites 6000 di pro. Make sure it is the Di pro, and not any of the earlier 6000 incarnations. That will give better depth than your Ace 250, is highly versatile, & easy to learn (once you get the sweep speed figured out).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
You could go with a used explorer, as Iron-patch says, but unless you have someone local there, who's good with it (ie.: routinely comes in with the oldies, verses a sand-box hunter), you might not like it. It's very sound specific, and is not at all like the Ace 250. Your best bet with an explorer, is to hook up with an ace, and flag targets to sample back and forth. Only *then* will the "lights go on", and you might love the explorer too. No amount of printed text or instruction manuals can convey things like sounds, so this is why the explorer is one of those type machines you probably need to have someone show you. Or else, get ready for a nerve-wracking flock of sick geese symphony sounds to learn by "hard knocks".

It ain't that bad now. I had 10 people follow me and not one of them bailed on the detector.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No doubt about it Iron Patch is right on this one. Used Explorer wouldnt think twice. :icon_thumright:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MXT :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions