Tesoro Tejon

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006
I am looking to buy a new detector for the primary purpose of coin shooting and was wondering if the tejon would be a good choice. Does the fact that it operates on the frequency of 17.2-17.6kHz hinder its performance with coins? Would I be wiser to go with the Tesoro cortes? If I manually adjust the GB in all metal mode on the Cortes will this be same depth as tejon? Thanks for any help you can give.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon no doubt has some pop but using that type of detector will have you digging like a madman. In a field where everything is old might be ok, but in a park maybe not so much. I'm not sure if power + single tone = good coin hunting detector in most places. What is your current detector?

OP
OP
C

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006
Iron Patch said:
The Tejon no doubt has some pop but using that type of detector will have you digging like a madman. In a field where everything is old might be ok, but in a park maybe not so much. I'm not sure if power + single tone = good coin hunting detector in most places. What is your current detector?
I used to use a Compass detector but it broke.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
charlesc said:
Iron Patch said:
I used to use a Compass detector but it broke.

My question was trying to get at whether your previous detector gave you lots of info. like if the signal was a coin, and how deep, so you made good use of your time. The Tejon being single tone and deep might create a lot of frustration for you digging deep trash that sounds too good to pass up. I'm not a screen reader myself but would definitely prefer a multi tone unit like my explorer if I was coin hunting somewhere like a park. This is a tough question given the limited info. and maybe a couple Tejon users will jump in and give their thoughts compared to other detectors for coin hunting.

OP
OP
C

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006
I do prefer an ID or multi-tone which is why I am leaning to a cortes or cz-3d. However, the cortes can only adjust the GB in all metal mode, so I am making sure I read all the info I can from you guys. thanks for the opinions and keep 'em coming.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tejon is geared towards relic hunting, but alot of folks do well hunting for coins with it, but I didn't, especially in spots with many targets, many being trash. It's a pretty "chatty machine" and you really have to listen and know whats its saying, I didn't have the patience. If you really want a tesoro, and have pretty mild ground, no shame in getting a cibola or if you need gb, the vaquero, and if you wanted tid either the deleon or cortez like you mentioned Jhar.

Monkeywrangler2

Feb 12, 2010
I've owned a Cibola and found it to be a very good coin shooter --and very fast on the swing/recovery. WAAAY faster than DH's Minelabs machines. Lighter too, so you don't get tired as easily. I also now have a Deleon, though I am still learning it, so far it has been a good machine on coins too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions