Lakes and Parks

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new to the hobby, been racking my brain(didn't take long) trying to find places to go........there is a lake here in east Texas that is close. The corp of engineers wont let you hunt arrowheads so I can assume the same about metal detecting? ........ There is a park in the small town that I live in that is about five years old that covers a city block. Years ago at the turn of the century there was a bank, and some saloons on that spot. The road that runs by the park was once the main street of the town. Never seen anyone with a detecter there. Would this possibally be a good place to hunt? Should I ask before hunting?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you ask before you threw a freebie there or walked your dog there. Heck no and if you ask for permission to detect I can almost guarantee that someone will tell you NO just on general principles. That park could have some clad in it and maybe some silver, but with a few old buildings that were torn down the place will be littered with red bricks and iron trash. Granted you could get lucky, but what gets places closed to us is the digging more often than not.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is no sign there saying no detecting allow. I would not ask. If you ask they will say no/ have never been told to leave a park tht I hve been in. I have had workers come up to me and ask if I have had any luck. We would talk about what I find and they would tell me good luck.......Matt

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion, find somebody with some private ground and hunt there for a while until you're comfortable with what your detector is telling you. In other words, learn your machine first in a place where you're not going to be putting your future hunts at risk because of excessive digging due to the lack of uncertainty. If the park areas are sand or pea gravel, then have at it as these areas are much easier to fill back in without leaving a trace. The worst thing you can do is to leave a bunch of holes or dead grass spots in the park, this is the main reason metal detecting has been frowned upon by those that make the rules in these parks. By learning your machine you'll dig a lot less and less digging is good for the future of the hobby. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions