Expermenting

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a hole six inches deep. Dropped a quarter in, uncovered.......couldn't get a signal when passed MD over the hole at ground level. Filled the hole to three and a half inches deep....still no signal. (new batteries)... finally got a signal at three inches. Garrett Ace 300....sounds like I need to upgrade?

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

If you lay the machine down and pass a coin in front of it at different distances, is it detecting it? It should not have a problem with 6 inches, especially not being covered. Also, are you keeping the coil moving when passing over the coin?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
Dug a hole six inches deep. Dropped a quarter in, uncovered.......couldn't get a signal when passed MD over the hole at ground level. Filled the hole to three and a half inches deep....still no signal. (new batteries)... finally got a signal at three inches. Garrett Ace 300....sounds like I need to upgrade?

freshly buried coins don't work well

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
If you lay the machine down and pass a coin in front of it at different distances, is it detecting it? It should not have a problem with 6 inches, especially not being covered. Also, are you keeping the coil moving when passing over the coin?
Coil was moving. I laid the machine down and passed a quarter over it at different distances. It will register at three and a half inches.....wont register at four inches.... Maybe a bigger coil if possible?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, if the settings are correct, 7-9"coil and nothing is amiss, you should pick up a quarter in the air at around 8". I agree a FRESHLY buried coin won't sound off as well as one that's been in the ground for a while, but more than 3" shouldn't be a problem. My two bits.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions