Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Negative, yet funny MD'ing article

I came across this and had a good laugh.

Perhaps she would've found something if she had a better piece of equipment.

Here's a snippet.

The confrontation exposed the underbelly of metal detecting: You have to do it either on public or private property, and neither the government nor the property owner necessarily wants you digging around like a colony of monkey-pox-infected prairie dogs.

Enjoy.

http://www.slate.com/id/2086909

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Negative, yet funny MD'ing article

well

I Got to this

"what could be more universal than the desire to find and keep a valuable object that doesn't belong to you? "

& Couldn't read Fruther.

First off I Believe she "Thinks" she's funny,
so she got a job writing these lame ass stories.

Now that comment I Quoted above shows just how
Clueless she is &
out of Disrespect for her,
I won't comment any fruther :icon_scratch:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Greek, this has circulated before on the forum. It's people like that, who shouldn't be in this hobby, to begin with. If you approach this from the perspective of "I am inherently damaging" and catch phrases which infer you will "leave holes everywhere", then SURE!! No one (not even private property) would want to allow that. But this is where her premise, is wrong in the first place. I do not consider this hobby "inherently damaging". If I did, then yes, you will never get permission to go anywhere. I mean, think of it: Can you think of any park or school anywhere, or anyone's yard or farm, where you can waltz up and ask them "Hi, can I dig up and damage this property?". Of COURSE you will get a no. She needs to return to "target recovery 101 class" to know how retrieve targets.

If you know you will leave no sign of your presence, then to me, this hobby does not fall under damage type-clauses. To think otherwise, and you've already lost the battle. In that case, she'd be right. Thus her error is in her premise.

She should obviously pick another hobby.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sorry Tom...

I should've done a search first to see if the article was posted. I'll do that next time. Apologies for posting the same old crap over again lol.

dano21

Jun 27, 2010

She didn't put enough time in the hobby, you can't expect to strike gold the first hour. I never really liked Slate...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread