coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New wave of late night beach Th'er robberies in So. Cal

Went to our monthly meeting last night and was informed by someone that hunts alot in San Diego late into the morning hours that a group of young 20ish men tried to rob him of his detector the other night. He wears a walky talky and radioed his son who was close and when confronted with two very large men, the dirtbags left. This was at La Jolla Shores the middle of Sept. Another incident on the same beach within a week or two also happened. An early morning kayaker was launching his boat when a vagrant walked up to him and asked him for some change. He said he didn't have any and the vagrant stabbed him with a knife. Not sure about his condition as I only heard this by word of mouth. Apparently there was also another incident where a group of young latino gang members tried to steal someones equipment by pulling a knife on them, but the th'er pulled his own knife on the assailant and they left. Just a word of caution. If you go out in the early a.m., keep your eyes open because these scumbags have decided to target us as easy prey. All that flashing of things found is definetely having a negative effect!! Solutions - hunt with someone else close by, if someone tries to approach you head into the water, most people will not follow. Keep a safe distance from anyone approaching, carry a weapon -a big knife is scary and might be a good detterent, but could be used against you, pepper spray is legal in CA and will give you the opportunity to get away (after you give the guy a really hard kick and a good whack with your sand scoop!!!)

Upvote 0

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New wave of late night beach Th'er robberies in So. Cal

If California had not given up the right to keep and bear arms they would not be having this problem, In Arizona which is a" Right to Carry" state my 9MM hangs on my belt with my digging tool, I detect day, night and in any place or part of town and out in the boonies and have never been acosted by anyone! >:(

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Eeeeeeks! I hope these incidents were reported to the police... we need more nightwatchmen out here. As it is, there are certain beaches I don't hunt for that very reason. There is a story circulating that someone was killed in the daytime under a pier... don't know whether that one is true or not, either.

There was an incident where I was accosted by a drunk a few years back, in the wee hours. I was ready to defend myself with my scoop, but fortunately didn't need to.

Silly, at most a gold ring is only worth $50-60-- not enought to go to jail for. And though I have found rings that retailed for a lot more, as 'Estate' jewelry they don't ever bring that much to the finder.

Another incident occurred when some fellow detectorists were selling jewelry at a swap meet/ flea market. Someone apparently followed them home, and later robbed the house when they were away.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We'll it appears these guys were after the equipment, not the rings. But this month we had one ring found that appraised at $2600 (from a jeweler), another really nice man's ring (gold nugget ring with nine nice diamonds) at $1500, and another womens at about $800. All found by the same guy! I guess I'm not hunting at the right time of day, but then again, I need to get some new pepper spray now! My day is still coming, I can feel it in my bones!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Pepper spray? I may start carrying my diving knife!

jcantanixon

Sep 30, 2004
West LA

I know this is a little off topic, but I found this thread doing a google search for So Cal metal detecting clubs. My wife lost a diamond earring in our west LA 2bd apartment, and I figured that I would find a club and offer a cash reward ($40 sound about right?) if someone wanted to come over and find it. Problem is, I can't seem to find any "local" boards. Anyone want to help? :-[

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Solution: Get a few large signs that say "Danger--military search underway for unexploded landmines in this area"
Move the signs along with you as you detect. Problem over.

N

neu

wow, ive thought someone was gonna try and take my stuff once, at a park ive hunted for years, was approached by a few guys with mean looks on thier faces, little anticipation then, "nice detector, ive been using a bounty hunter for a few years and been wanting to buy one of those, how do you like yours?"
but thats gotta be irritating for you guys in so-cal, to think that someone would try to take your stuff, then if anything does happen, they can always tell the cops that you found something of thiers and wouldnt give it back, and bam more people disliking us.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

That's when one of these comes in handy.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MDnoob said:
I LIKE IT! As someone once sang(the Beatles I think) "Happiness is a warm gun"

smhead

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MDnoob said:

Ahhhh, my two favorite things in the worl, AKs and Metal detectors. Never thought I'd see something like that (if you like AKs, check my website)

I also have been approached by less than well-intented people. I have one of those 3 foot long shovels with the angled sharpened blade. that would take a head off if it came to that.

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe

diggummup said:
When I hunt alone,illegal or not,i'm always packin heat,don't tell me about gun laws,this is STILL America!
[/quote

Right on diggummup! , Its easier to get yourself out of the police station than it is to get yourself out of a casket... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread