Crazy question about ACE 250 and a Excalibur II

X53Gunner

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2007
Greenville MI
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ok this might be wierd but here it goes. I have been detecting with a Ace 250 for a couple years off and on now. I would like to get into the water more and look for some jewlery. I know the Excal is the one for that but (hopfully I don't get flogged here) would the Excal find more stuff on land then the Ace 250? If it would I will pass on my Ace to a Family Member and try to get them into the sport. Thanks for your time!
Scott

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not really say right now. I have heard of othere only using the Excalibur for land and water on. I just got my Excalibur about 2 weeks ago. So I am still trying to learn it......Matt

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether or not the excalibur will find more is very subjective. It can go deep so you can find coins that other missed, but on the other hand you may be able to cover more ground faster and dig enough shallow targets to even things out. At the beach, though, having the ability to search in the water will open the door to more quality finds. I think the real question is whether or not it is good for using on land. Its performance will be good but it will be quite heavy which may make your experience less enjoyable on land. If I was in your shoes, I would buy the excalibur for the water and beach hunting and still keep the ace 250 for park hunting rather than just giving it away.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a couple hunts will probably tell you that. I know when I switched to a Minelab it was hitting deeper targets, and sounding off much better when they were on edge... so I was sold right away it would find me more. (and it has as that was about 9 years ago)

PS - My switch was from a high-end Garrett, a GTI, to an Explorer XS. If you find the Excal comfortable to swing on land I would do it. I have a friend who used one for a couple of years (all land hunts) before getting his Explorer II.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have both machines. I don't like the excal for my dirt digging as I dig alot of trashy areas. when I hunt a beach with the excal I dig everything. I decided to upgrade my dirt machine too though and now have an etrac. I love my excal for the beach!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cntrydncr1 has a good answer. Yes it will go deeper, handles moderate minerals well, retains audio ID to respectable depths, etc... So it may *seem* like a hands-down ACE 250 killer on land, right? But the Excaliber has warbly fishy and drawn out beeeooonnggss type signals. That's no problem for the beach, where targets tend to be spread out and separated for individual comparison. But if you're on land, in an iron filled site, you may find these long drawn out booogeeeennnnggs annoying. Most land hunters prefer something with a faster response.

But with that said, the Sovereign is very similar to the Excal, and possibly even just the same thing (except one's water proof, and the other isn't). And there are many Sovereign land users who swear by theirs. Even in junky areas, they've been able to master them. But personally, I don't see how they do it. It just seems more of a beach machine to me. I've tried my Excal on land, and did get some deep park silver with it. But the pinpointing was an absolute bear, d/t loooongg responses, and the ratchetting feature of the all-metal mode. I suppose you could use a hand-held pinpointer though.

You might just wanna invest in an Explorer, if you really want an ACE 250 killer for land.

One last thing: you will hate the Excal at first. The sounds and swing techniques are nothing like you're probably used to on your Ace 250. So either be prepared for a long learning curve, or hook up with a proficient excal user, to trade off marked signals to compare. Watch how he's swinging, and what sounds he's trying to isolate.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to hunt parks with my Excal, it will most certainly go deeper, and I had no trouble using it on land. It does have discrimination, but I did not use it. It will null on the iron and the rest I dug.....I was not digging any more trash with it then I do with my Whites 6000 XL PRO, which was Whites top of the line analog detector.....The only problem with the Excal was the weight, use a harness and that will never be a problem....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread