Metal Detecting in St Kitts

justinb

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2010
I have live in St Kitts for over 2 years (never seen anyone else with a metal detector) I'm really successful at finding Cannon balls ect... (so many that i just leave them there now). I want to find some more interesting stuff.

Does anyone know good spots down here?

Are there any old shipwrecks in the area where i may be able to find the beach close to them (like after a storm) to do some detecting maybe find some old coins?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin

Attachments

• 13639_738147564251_5006000_43667118_6200943_n.jpg
    13639_738147564251_5006000_43667118_6200943_n.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 13639_738147569241_5006000_43667119_7252905_n.jpg
    13639_738147569241_5006000_43667119_7252905_n.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Nice cannon balls.

Try hunting the hotel beaches, in and out of the water. Tourists lose lots of rings.

A friend of mine had a nice little side business on Antigua looking for lost rings for tourists. Leave your name and number with the hotel management and wait for the calls. In the meantime find the lost coins and rings that are waiting for you at the local hotels.

Ray S ECenFL

OP
OP
J

justinb

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2010
Is it common to find lost jewelry or just a once in awhile kind of thing?

Is it a good idea to "rule out" such things at beer tops or would i be hurting my chance of finding something good?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When you ask if it is "common" to find gold jewelry on tourist beaches, it depends on what you mean by "common". You might search all day, and only find loose change, and some junk. Then on another day, when mother nature re-arranges the sand (erosion process) and groups all heavy items in distinct patterns on the wet, then maybe you can get 2 or 3 gold rings, or even 10 or 12 on the real touristy beaches, and the very right time of erosion :) But no, don't think you're going to go bagging an average of 2 or 3 gold rings a day. If you, or anyone, could find a beach with odds that good and consistent, you could retire to detecting as a career :)

And yes: If you tune out pulltabs and foil, you will miss gold rings. Perhaps not big monster man's class ring type sizes, but will miss 95% of your gold rings, as most gold rings read mid scale and lower.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
justinb said:
Is it common to find lost jewelry or just a once in awhile kind of thing?

Is it a good idea to "rule out" such things at beer tops or would i be hurting my chance of finding something good?

If no one else is using a detetor in your area you are sitting on a gold mine. Yes, you will find some junk, but that comes with the territory.

Ray S ECenFL

donlor

Apr 4, 2007
staten island, ny
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark, tesoro tiger shark, tesoro cibola, goldbug se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i stayed at the marriott for a week 2years ago. i detected the water (and dry sand somewhat). unfortunately, about 2 weeks before i got there they had bulldozed a lot of sand from the beach into the water. consequently, the sand in the water was a good 6-9" deep. under the sand was a rocky/coral type bottom that was extremely difficult to work in. on top of that the waves and water action were strong enough so that you had to fight to get more than one scoop in the same hole. i got enough hits but didn't manage to recover a lot of targets in the water. while i was detecting a lady came over to me + asked if i could try to fund her earring. her other earring was a post type that would easily pass thru my scoop so i told her that + then tried for a time to find her earring but to no avail. the beach guard told me about people who told him about their losses so i know there is gold out there. the biggest question i would have is about how many locals detect the resort beaches during off-hours.
donald

BRUNO ST KITTS

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have live in St Kitts for over 2 years (never seen anyone else with a metal detector) I'm really successful at finding Cannon balls ect... (so many that i just leave them there now). I want to find some more interesting stuff.

Does anyone know good spots down here?

Are there any old shipwrecks in the area where i may be able to find the beach close to them (like after a storm) to do some detecting maybe find some old coins?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Justin

Hello Justin
Are you still on island ?
I am just beginning and I would love to find cannon balls like the ones you found.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Bruno from Frigate Bay

I've got the bug

Jun 2, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett infinium ls, Whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to bump this thread. I'm going to be in St. Kitts and Nevis in about two weeks. I know the original poster said he just leaves cannon balls where he finds them because they are so common place, but I would love to find one. I'm going to do some shore diving in Nevis, and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for jewelry...I'm looking for historical items. Cannon balls, ship spikes, that kind of thing. I wrote to the OP, but his last sign on was a few years ago.

Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
Bug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread