BattleField Park Jackson MS

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
I read on a "somewhere" forum years ago a post by some guy that said he had hunted the park and that it was legal. Also said something to the effect, at that time there was also another guy (or two) that hunted it, and that they seemed to think it was their own private ground to hunt, and were not very incouraging to anyone infringing on their space. I also got the impression that it was not all that safe of a neighborhood. Have to say I would be more inclined to consider the safety of the neighborhood more than the other detector dudes. I only get up that way every now and then and never thought it worth the risk.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battlefield Park is NOT a place to hunt alone; or in two's and three's. Too dangerous; even in the daytime and don't EVER go there at night. That area is "thug central" on the southside. That area and on east to the Pearl River, is STILL nicknamed Chimneyville.
Battlefield Park does not begin to cover the area of battle in the Battle of Jackson. It is just a handy little park. From the park area, south to Bailey Hill was heavily fought over. Bailey Hill is the high ground on the south side of I-20; up behind the automobile dealerships. Federal gun emplacements were on the top of Bailey Hill, firing toward the Battlefield Park area and all points in between. From the Pearl River, west was the other boundaries of the battle lines on the southern end of Jackson ( 1860s Jackson).

Goggle Earth has some very good low altitude shots of the entire Jackson area. You would do well to find a copy of the maps covering the Battle of Jackson and compare it to a modern map. Mark up the modern map and go from there. As a tip; Town Creek and Lynch Creek are both still flowing in their original beds. Terry Road and Galatin Street are still there. Highway 80 and I-20 do not follow any original street or road. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge is where the battle maps show a pontoon bridge was positioned. Of course, the state capital building is also were it was originally sited. With these points, you should be able to accurately mark up a modern map. A street map of Jackson can be found at major truckstops; especially close into the area.

Good hunting.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shortstack said:
Battlefield Park is NOT a place to hunt alone; or in two's and three's. Too dangerous; even in the daytime and don't EVER go there at night. That area is "thug central" on the southside. That area and on east to the Pearl River, is STILL nicknamed Chimneyville.
Battlefield Park does not begin to cover the area of battle in the Battle of Jackson. It is just a handy little park. From the park area, south to Bailey Hill was heavily fought over. Bailey Hill is the high ground on the south side of I-20; up behind the automobile dealerships. Federal gun emplacements were on the top of Bailey Hill, firing toward the Battlefield Park area and all points in between. From the Pearl River, west was the other boundaries of the battle lines on the southern end of Jackson ( 1860s Jackson).
way to save a detectorist! :D

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
My ggg grandfather was in the Battle of Jackson. They were in pursuit of Johnson's Army, with Sherman's command, after having just battled at (the fall of ) Vicksburg. After taking Jackson, they had orders to destroy the railroad and all bridges in and around Jackson.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its nice to have advice like this!

okrick11

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Is anybody hunting around Jackson willing to take a visitor hunting with them? I'll be in Jackson next week working and would love to get some hunting in. If you don't have time maybe you could point me towards a decent place to hunt... I mostly hunt coins. My name is Rick, I'm from Oklahoma City, and I usually hunt old city parks and old schoolyards. Thanks

okrick11

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Update...... Thanks guys, nobody replied. I went to Battlefield Park, hunted it three times, from late afternoon til almost dark. Not being a relic hunter, I didn't know what to dig and what not to dig. I dug almost all strong signals. found a lot of bottlecaps, a lot of clad, 5 Wheaties and a safety token? Being winter time I guess there was a lot less traffic. Would have loved to spend more time there, hopefully I'll get back there one of these days.

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any of you interested in getting together for a hunt let me know, I'm in Brookhaven.

Last edited:

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in flowood ms if anyone would like to get together and hunt.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Kshollywood, I am down Old Fannin from you on the other side of the causeway. I would be up for a hunt soon. In fact, I have some Winter hunts scheduled that I will be needing a partner on if you are game. They are local hunts but we will need to take my boat to get there. Let me know if interested.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im on flynt dr off Lakeland, sure id love to trade some spots with you. I'll pm you my number

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call me today if you can silver pirate, I sent my number in a pm to you

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to battlefield park today, man those DEMOCRAPS can drink some beer, pull tabs and beer cans everywhere

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to my maps battlefield park was where one of the two battles in Jackson was at, am I wrong?

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. You are right. Remember that other place I was telling you about? They fired the cannons from there to battlefield park.
By the way, I am compiling a list of places for you to go. I will have it finished soon. Should be a good list.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome, THANKS!

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went where you were talking about, where the cannons should've been but didn't find anything

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just passed an old school, probably close to early century, in historic district Clinton. They are digging up a bunch of dirt. Major dirt work going on. Might be a good place to go. Still working of your list. Also, any street tear up downtown Jxn would be good too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread