What Depths are Usual?

S

sounder

I am curious as to what depths most people using a metal detector find coins. It seems that most coins that I dig are in the 4 to 6 inch range, but I have dug a few(very few) at about 8 inches. What I am wondering is, are my depths about average, or am I missing some really nice things at deeper depths, and if I am, how do I get deeper? If I need to get deeper, how do I get there? ??? Thanks sounder

Upvote 0

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What detector are you using and what size coil? Coil size can determine depth as well as whether you're "notching" or not.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I find most of my coins from 1 to 5 inches deep. They just don't sink that far here due to the clay soil. They sink through the upper top soil and sit on the clay. I have a Tejon, so I know it will find deep stuff, but I hardly think I need it here. It really depends on your soil conditions.

OP
OP
S

sounder

I am using a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, which is the one that I found coins with at 8 inches, running in Auto Notch. I also have a Whites Di 6000 Series 3 which seems to be a little sick right now. I tested this one in my yard tonight, and the best it did was about 4 1/2 inches. I think it needs a tune up. sounder

OP
OP
S

sounder

I forgot to say in the previous message, that both detectors have an 8 inch coil on them. sounder

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find most coins in about 4 to 6 " some occasionally deeper. But, i also wonder if i'm missing good targets in disc mode because of me not digging on hits where instead of getting a good solid tone, i will have my threshold cut out and come back at a faster buzz indicating a non ferrous target. Wouldnt a coin still sound off even on the furthest limits of signal penetration? . I know i'm getting deep using a Minelab Sov with a 10' coil, but i still wonder if i'm missing good stuff?

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here on the beaches the sand can go down for many feet, and coins continue sinking until they rest on a cobble patch or bedrock. I've dug a quarter at well over 1 foot deep, using a minelab with a 10" coil. But depth of detection decreases with mineralization, and concentrated black sand can reduce finding depths to 4" or less. Discrimination also cuts detection depth by as much as 50%.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I think it depends on where you are hunting. If I am in an unhunted area I get a lot of stuff around 2 inches. Heavely hunted areas I'm digging 6-12 inches. I find that my tolerance for digging goes with the amount of finds. If I am finding good stuff shallow I get lasy and dont dig the deeper ones. (I go back another day and dig deep) I hunt mostly with a Minelab EX II and a 10.5 coil. Cladius.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Whites is definately sick or your not running it right.That specific unit is one of the best for depth and id that they EVER made.It'll put that BH to shame when operated properly!!John :o

OP
OP
S

sounder

John, I have been running the Whites for about 18 or 19 yrs. I always run as close to what the owners manual says to run as I can. That doesn't mean that I am running it right, but I think that I am. I think this winter, it is going to go on a trip to Sweet Home Oregon, and get tuned up, fixed , or whatever it needs. Thanks for your repley. I had always been satisfied with the Whites, but I had lost confidence in it until I read your repley. sounder

N

neu

i think it depends on where your hunting, and or ground conditions. i live in an area with about 4 - 10 inches of soil, and under that is hard packed clay, ive never found anything that wasnt above the clay. but ground conditions can cause your detector to read deep or shallow, if the ground is moist and lose you will usually get good depth, however if its dry and hard packed, u will not get great depth at all.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Last June where I lived we had so much rain, I was getting coins so deep, I got told I was lying. Check after alot of rain. Also when they tear houses down and scrape the soil off the top the coins left are not that deep. Got my first seated dime that way. Also an 1872 Indian head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread