Oregon beaches. any good for detecting?

bryguy5

May 26, 2010
Portland, OREGON
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ-5
Live in Portland, OR. have been thinking of hitting the beach. does any one know of any spanish coins that have ever been found? all i'v heard about is bees wax. also what kind of finds have you guys found on oregon beachs? I know with all our tropical weather(lol) the trip may be a bust. but any incouraging finds would make the hunt more exciting.
ps wold be cool to hook up with a partner to do some detecting. live in Beaverton if anyone is interested give me a shout. thanks.

Upvote 0

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
bryguy5 said:
Live in Portland, OR. have been thinking of hitting the beach. does any one know of any spanish coins that have ever been found? all i'v heard about is bees wax. also what kind of finds have you guys found on oregon beachs? I know with all our tropical weather(lol) the trip may be a bust. but any incouraging finds would make the hunt more exciting.
ps wold be cool to hook up with a partner to do some detecting. live in Beaverton if anyone is interested give me a shout. thanks.

I hit a beach near Coos Bay several years ago. I don't remember the name of the beach. Only found the usual clad and pull tabs and such. No jewlery. I did have to pay $10.00 for an MD permit so you may want to be prepared for that. I didn't even make the cost of the permit back.

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
I have never really found much at the beaches here. Mostly some scarce modern clad and occ. jewelery item. Finds are few and far between..

Our beaches are just not populated enough. It is better to hunt the campground and park facilities on or near the beach for more finds. Fun to do the beach though, very beautiful and serene.

GL with your hunt!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Several Spanish and Chinese coins have been found on Oregon beaches. Mostly in the extreme Southern Oregon area.

I know of one gold coin that was found next to a large rock near Nye Beach. I knew the coin dealer who was asked to examine it shortly after it was found in the '60s.

Spanish were not commonplace in Oregon. Not much in terms of finds that I'm aware of. Some were reputedly found near Manzanita and Neahkahnie Mtn. Supposed to have been some found on or near the beach near Coos Bay, back in the 1950's as I recall.

Better spots much closer to you. Try Lonsdale and Chapman Squares, between SW 3rd and 4th street. At least one $10 gold coin was found near the Elk fountain. A lot of tokens were tossed into the Willamette River after being dug up during street renovation in the 70's. Could also try the South Park Blocks between PSU and Burnside. A lot of history in that area, including the Oregon Historical Society.

Try picking up Ruby el Hult's "Treasure Hunting Northwest" and "Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest" for several leads on authentic treasure caches in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread