When do you STOP digging????

Emkate79

Greenie
Jun 21, 2010
Fremont, OH
OK...so since I came here to post about my missing rings...you guys have inspired me. I've actually always wanted to get a metal detector...but always talked myself out of it. So...I got one. Not anything great...just your basic bounty hunter. K...so my house was built in 1900...the first one on this block. Traced my land back to the Amsden's purchase in the mid 1800's. I live in Fremont, OH...so Indian land is all around...also Fort Stephenson is here. SO...I was digging in my backyard today...and found TONS OF METAL!!! Nothing worth anything...two pennies that were from the 60's...an old belt buckle...tons of nails...and huge metal wedge thingie? (I'm assuming that's what my detector hit on)...a small metal box...some small glass bottles...what looks like a measuring cup...but there's no measurment on it. Anyway...just lots of STUFF!!! I could have kept digging FOREVER!!! I guess that's my question. When do you stop??? There is now a HUGE hole in my backyard (not far out either...I've got a LOT of yard to explore). So do I just leave the rest and call it good? Do I keep digging and maybe eventually put in a pool where I've dug out my yard? HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Emkate79,

Welcome to the forum. Only stop digging when you come up in China.
No I would use my backyard as a training ground. Learn the machine dig everything.
Good luck enjoy your detector. :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since it's your yard and you have all the time you need, PLOT your yard. Work on certain sections and allow others to "recover". Map AND record all finds. If a pattern begins to SURFACE (pun intended) channel your efforts into those areas that warrant extra attention. Take your time! TTC

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here is the question for you. You said you came here to ask a question about your lost rings. Did you ever find them. Did you lose them in your yard. If you lost them in your own yard you have to dig every signal. Because ring will register as pull tabs and foil. So you never stop digging if you want to find gold rings....Matt

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Arrrgh, dig everything and give nothing back!
I would look for old fence lines. before banking most old timers would bury their loot. The fence line made for constant knowledge of where your stash was buried. IE; the fifth post, the seventh post, the northeast corner under the flat rock next to post 17. :laughing9: Really, a friend of mine died several years ago and I know for a fact he buried lots of money on the property. When he died his kid got the place and is still looking for the old mans loot. There are a lot of good hiding places on 150 acres. If the kid had not stolen a bunch of stuff that I had stored in the house I might give him the information I know. His old man and I go back 50 years. The property has been in the family for over 200 years. Maybe I'll drop by again someday and see if he found anything. My buddy had a habit of burying an old can or mason jar with a few dollars and some coins over the main stash. Who would think of a stash under a stash? I know where to start looking.

It's your yard, dig till you get tired and then rest until you feel like digging again. :laughing9: :laughing9: If you hit water get some dive gear. Never give up! :laughing9:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Feather said:

It's your yard, dig till you get tired and then rest until you feel like digging again. :laughing9: :laughing9: If you hit water get some dive gear. Never give up! :laughing9:

:laughing7:

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I only stop digging when the signals stop. I dug my yard up so much one spring I did not have to cut the grass all summer that year.
Unless of coarse you see light coming from the bottom of the hole.
Welcome to the group
Joe

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Emkate79 said:
...It's also something to keep me busy while my husband is deployed on a submarine with little contact! Not sure how he's going to feel when he finds out I've been digging tons of holes in the backyard...
Em

A submarine man! Awesome. My guess is that he will fall in love with you all over again. :thumbsup:

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
EM, I wouldn't stop till i hit oil! seriously though, that's a decision you have to make.Just got my machine about two months ago I'm glad I did,like you I kept putting it off. turn your disc control up a notch or two, that will discriminate out some of the junk. find a spot or clear one out and mark it off with a non metallic items. make as small a hole as you can and a different coin or trash item in each one. That is a way to show how the machine reacts to different coins and trash man that really helped me hear the different tones. the idea is to have an idea of what the target is before you dig it.have fun that's what its all about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread