How do you protect yourself when woods hunting?

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question guys and gals...

I'm going to start getting more into the hunting of woods sites here in NJ. Cellar holes, old trails, etc. I'm not normally one to go alone into the woods by myself, so, will probably be bringing along a hunting buddy or two of mine. Question is...

How do all of you protect yourself when out detecting in the deep woods? You know, from bears, snakes, loonies walking around in the sticks, ticks, etc. Any advice to a newb woods hunter is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, do most of you prefer to hunt in the Spring and Fall when the vegetation dies down or do ya'll just "brave it" all year long?

Finally, any strange or scary situations that has happened to any of you while out in the woods seems like a good topic post. So, fire away!!!

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I hunt the Vermont woods and have never needed protection. I saw a bear this afternoon when I was Metal Detecting the " orchard ". He was more concerned with getting out of my sight than I was his. I love to see them. I usually see two of three a year.
If someone made a gun that was specific to deer flies...... That would be another story.

VPR
Didn't mean to give the impression that I carry when detecting in the woods. I don't either. Just making a comment on the huge capacity mags. Black flies & ticks are the worst thing I ever run into here in NH as well. Both of those things are gone now that fall is here so I'm heading out as soon as it warms up a little more. Got permission last week to detect 400 acres of farm fields that run along side a river. Wish me luck.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Suntan lotion, bug spray and a condom. The condom is a cheap investment - I've had the same one since 2003.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
oldcoon said:
Suntan lotion, bug spray and a condom. The condom is a cheap investment - I've had the same one since 2003.

Good God, man!
You mean you haven't gotten lucky since 2003? :o
Ok man, it was a joke. Still, my jewels are as blue as sapphires.

cyberfish2

Greenie
Nov 14, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldcoon said:

Good God, man!
You mean you haven't gotten lucky since 2003? :o
Evidently, MD is not a very sexy pastime. Must be the dirt-under-the-fingernails thing. :laughing7:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
NHBandit said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I hunt the Vermont woods and have never needed protection. I saw a bear this afternoon when I was Metal Detecting the " orchard ". He was more concerned with getting out of my sight than I was his. I love to see them. I usually see two of three a year.
If someone made a gun that was specific to deer flies...... That would be another story.

VPR
Didn't mean to give the impression that I carry when detecting in the woods. I don't either. Just making a comment on the huge capacity mags. Black flies & ticks are the worst thing I ever run into here in NH as well. Both of those things are gone now that fall is here so I'm heading out as soon as it warms up a little more. Got permission last week to detect 400 acres of farm fields that run along side a river. Wish me luck.

One thing to keep your eyes open for is rabies ! Raccoons, fox, skunks, etc. I have never bumped into a rabid animal but the disease is not uncommon.

VPR

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Two things I always Carry where ever I go. Lum-Tec watch and my trusty Springfield 45.

c70ef52b.jpg

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Here in WA State (and 42 others) open carry is permitted which is what I do. For questions about your own state I recomend:
opencarry.org

To the original poster: I'm sorry you live in NJ where the 2nd Amendment has been canceled.

Tom2hunt

Mar 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike, Fisher 1236-X2 and Gold Bug
If you start hunting in the woods you will need a backpack to carry a lot of equipment to carry everything. Other items you need is a whistler or boat horn. I had a deer stare me down in a 2000 acre city park while hunter one morning. That boat horn worked great. For two legged freaks I also carry a stun gun/baton. If you are in a high crime area go early in the morning and be out by 10 or 11 am.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wield a hunting firearm in the woods 6 months per year. I rather enjoy not looking to kill animals during the other 6. That being said, the wilderness should be enjoyed but, at times can be unforgiving. Some knowledge of the land maps, arial photos, etc. should be refrenced PRIOR to venturing into unfamiliar locales. Animals are more than likely going to avoid you and run for the hills. I know that the Eastern Timber Rattlesnake is a protected species and its best to leave them alone.I live and hunt on the NY/PA border and have never encountered a venomous snake. When I get in the woods I'm not only MDing but, rather scouting the land for history, hunting, fishing, flora, fauna, mushrooms, and native american artifacts. So bring a camera, a buddy, a pet or anything you think you might need. GOOD HUNTING!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprised no one has mentioned what I consider my #1 defensive investment: a Rattler headset that only covers one ear. I can listen to my surroundings with my free ear. In the woods I carry a pistol. In the city I rely on my digging tool of choice and a tactical folding knife I can open quickly and with one hand. I'm 6'3", with a gray-flecked beard and a gold tooth, and have my "crazy-with-nothing-to-lose" maniacal look down pat because I'm crazy with nothing to lose.

In parks and city lots I wear gloves as I've turned enough razorblades, needles, sharp can slaw and odd glass where it wasn't expected to be careful when poking in the dirt.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I don't know about out there but back here in the hills you don't go out in the woods any time of year with out a blaze orange vest and hat. Just because it isn't deer or turkey season doesn't mean that there isn't some dumbazz out there shooting at whatever moves just for the hell of it.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Tom2hunt said:
If you start hunting in the woods you will need a backpack to carry a lot of equipment to carry everything. Other items you need is a whistler or boat horn. I had a deer stare me down in a 2000 acre city park while hunter one morning. That boat horn worked great. For two legged freaks I also carry a stun gun/baton. If you are in a high crime area go early in the morning and be out by 10 or 11 am.

Very good point, Tom2hunt! :thumbsup:

Drunks, drug addicts, punks and other vermin usually won't be moving about until around noon!

Sky Pilot

belliott

Apr 1, 2011
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I wear worn out over-alls and carry a banjo, spitting alot helps too.

That will keep the people away, I ain't scared of the critters.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
LOL!! :thumbsup:

Heh Heh!!

"Squeal like a pig, boy!"

That's funny!

Just might attract the wrong element though! LOL!!

Sky Pilot

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you must be from a very populated city and not venture out in the wilds much. that is ok, we all need to start somewhere and at some point in time. Well this is a good topic. I am a good prospector in Montana for 14 years now and I hunt for gold nuggets in the mountains usually by myself. last year I had a bear in my camp around 2 a.m. . When I opened the door of the tent camper to see what all the noise was I realized there was a bear going thru the garbage and he turned and started coming towards me. All I did was shut the door and go back to sleep. the year before last I had two bear experiences one of which was about 50 yrds from my camp. I dropped my food and grabbed my 45 ACP and ran towards him, stopped, stared at him and fired a shot in front of him to scare him off. Then I went to grab camera and he was gone, so I went thru the woods looking for him and firing a shot every so often. I wanted that bear to know that this little patch of ground was mine and I was going to put up a fight to keep him out. My last night there after two weeks in the mountains by myself I got back to camp at around 11 pm and I noticed something had ransacked my camp. I fired my AK-47 a few times in hopes of scaring off what ever tore up my camp. Next morning I felt the suburban shaking and I heard breathing comming from outside the window. I looked up and I was stairing face to face with a very large Black Angus heffer. Lol. She helped me pack up my camp and kept me company. I feed her breakfast- coffee, 6 v8 juice cans, energy drink, granola bars 7 to be exact and she helped herself to drinking the soapy dish water. She even licked the hamburger grease off of my camp grill. she mooed mornfully when I got the last of my camp packed and she looked around and walked to the back door of the surburban and looked a little blue. cause I was leaving I suppose.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
goldseeker4000 said:
you must be from a very populated city and not venture out in the wilds much. that is ok, we all need to start somewhere and at some point in time. Well this is a good topic. I am a good prospector in Montana for 14 years now and I hunt for gold nuggets in the mountains usually by myself. last year I had a bear in my camp around 2 a.m. . When I opened the door of the tent camper to see what all the noise was I realized there was a bear going thru the garbage and he turned and started coming towards me. All I did was shut the door and go back to sleep. the year before last I had two bear experiences one of which was about 50 yrds from my camp. I dropped my food and grabbed my 45 ACP and ran towards him, stopped, stared at him and fired a shot in front of him to scare him off. Then I went to grab camera and he was gone, so I went thru the woods looking for him and firing a shot every so often. I wanted that bear to know that this little patch of ground was mine and I was going to put up a fight to keep him out. My last night there after two weeks in the mountains by myself I got back to camp at around 11 pm and I noticed something had ransacked my camp. I fired my AK-47 a few times in hopes of scaring off what ever tore up my camp. Next morning I felt the suburban shaking and I heard breathing comming from outside the window. I looked up and I was stairing face to face with a very large Black Angus heffer. Lol. She helped me pack up my camp and kept me company. I feed her breakfast- coffee, 6 v8 juice cans, energy drink, granola bars 7 to be exact and she helped herself to drinking the soapy dish water. She even licked the hamburger grease off of my camp grill. she mooed mornfully when I got the last of my camp packed and she looked around and walked to the back door of the surburban and looked a little blue. cause I was leaving I suppose.

Cool post! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread