Secrets of Hunting Older Yards

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
You've found a promising older home and you have permission to search the yard - how exactly should you do that?

Where are the hotspots likely to be? Where will you find the most coins, or the oldest coins?

My newest podcast (radio show you can listen to on your computer anytime) tackles these questions.

Astute listeners may think this show sounds a bit familiar, and they're right. I took an earlier program (#008) and split it in two, updating, streamlining, and re-recording each half as a new show. I left the first half where it was, and posted the second half as my latest show. So you should listen to #008 before you listen to this new one (#049) to get the full story.

The shows reside at http://thetreasurecorner.com . Enjoy!

---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
4-H said:
I find it amazing that you post these pods, asking nothing in return.

Hey, I'm just that kinda guy.

Seriously, I get a lot in return - I get thanks and good wishes from listeners, and I even sell a few of my books to people who enjoy the programs.

But mainly, after 40 years in the radio business, the podcasts help make me forget I'm retired now. I also do a weekly old-time radio show for a local station for the blind (and I post it at http://radiofun.info), and there's no pay for that either. I don't even have a book to sell those listeners!

But for 40 years, I got paid for doing what I love to do. And I want to keep doing it, even though the pay has stopped.

Now, if you feel guilty listening to my shows without giving me anything in return, you could always buy a few more copies of my book, or buy one of my non-treasure books, or buy some of my old treasure magazines, or just send me a bunch of money. Because I sure don't want to be responsible for you feeling guilty. My goodness, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Best,

---Dan, http://danhughes.net (spiffy home page)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, what a great site!

I will definitely be listening to all of them.

THX :thumbsup:

rwoods61

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2010
Dan,

First let me say that I have learned a lot from listening to your Pod Casts.

Now for the But!!!

Here in the south a old house means they probably burned the trash on the property at some time or another. Be prepared for broken glass and all kinds of other stuff melded together. No, your detector will not signal on the glass but you will dig it up!!! The location of the trash "barrel" moved from time to time.

Look at the exterior of the old house. Is it original? Is it aluminum or vinyl? What about the soffit and trim? My house is 87 years old. When I bought it, it had aluminum siding. I replaced it with vinyl. I have dug up so much Aluminum that signals as a dime.... My point is look around at the whole picture. Age is a lot but by looking at what is above the ground, you might understand what is under the ground.

Just experience from a newbie.

rwoods61

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
rwoods61 said:
My house is 87 years old. When I bought it, it had aluminum siding. I replaced it with vinyl. I have dug up so much Aluminum that signals as a dime.

I hate hunting yards of houses that have aluminum siding! Especially within ten feet of the house. Not only do you find thousands of little chunks of aluminum, but you cut your fingers to bits because those aluminum bits are SHARP.

I lived in both Alabama and Georgia, and the main thing I remember about hunting there is that all the nickels were orange.

I did have some good luck hunting around old abandoned churches out in the hinterlands.

Best,

---Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread