NOOB

sHoootR

Jun 29, 2010
This really seems to be a very informative Form. I've read more info and tips in the last week, But still undecided on MD to buy. You guy's are really amazing in the fact of your knowledge and suggestions and tips for us Noobs. I just retired about a month ago, am bored already, Not really. Just looking for an interesting hobby to enjoy and that i can add to our Tear Drop camping.

We just moved to SW Missouri when I retired, don't know if soil is mineralized or not. As far MD's go I'm leaning toward an
Ace 250 or a Cibola. Seem to both be very good starter machines................from what I've read here.

Any guidance or info will be greatly appreciated............

Thanks in Advance

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately for this question, ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers :tongue3: Read the various detector forums and you will get a better Idea. I use an Ace 250 because it was inexpensive and easy to learn. Each machine will have a plus, or a minus. Most important, just have fun..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Unfortunately for this question, ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers :tongue3: Read the various detector forums and you will get a better Idea. I use an Ace 250 because it was inexpensive and easy to learn. Each machine will have a plus, or a minus. Most important, just have fun..

Spart is correct, have fun. And if I might add, your first year or so will be a learning process anyway so whatever machine you decide on be sure you select one that's user friendly and helps you in the understunding of how MDing machines function, and why. Once you grasp this it will be much easier for you to get into all the other various machines and their individual designs and features. Ace 250, and even a mid-range Bounty Hunter are good learning machines that won't break the bank.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I agree!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both of those machines and I still have a cibola. The 250 is a remarkable machine for the money but the cibola gets better depth and I liked the lifetime warranty on the cibola. I have had two aces 250s and both just ended up in my closet . I traded one and sold one to a friend and he has made some nice finds with it. Both of these machines are great for a beginner or any hunter. Congratulations on retirement and good luck. :icon_thumright:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
i did well with my bounty hunter 505 my first year but the post and finds i see of the ace 250 are all good

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll probably have a lot of regret.... regret you didn't start this years ago! Go for it, not much to lose getting yourself an ace 250. When I started I probably paid way more than I should have for a detector, didn't know where I'd go, or who with, but things have a very funny way of sorting themself out. You have to take that first step to let it happen.... it's all part of the adventure!

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:coffee2:
any unit you get or have is a great starting tool. after you start learning your machine then you and only you will find what you like or dislike about it. then zero in on finding a machine that is great for you!
THE MACHINE FINDS THE PERSON MR. POTTER!
good luck and have FUN!

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Doesn't matter which one, Ace works fine, so does Tesoro, just get one and go learn digging, enjoy and welcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread