Coil Protectors or Covers and Their Use???

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
White's Beagle Spectrometer
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Coil Protectors

nofoolin said:
i am trying to understand the proper use of coil protector, is it used while detecting to protect the coil from sand and rocks

Thanks for input! :help:

Bingo, you got it!!! It protects the coil itself, otherwise you can damage the coil.

OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used

Thanks for your insightful reply Spartacus. I figured as much but it is never really mentioned in the manuals or talked about elsewhere. But then again the coil is very important..., and fragile, and expensive!

Still searching for that first big find...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The use of a cover on the coil is a bit controversial as some never use them and others swear by them. They don't affect the operation of the detector UNLESS MINERALIZED SOIL AND MOISTURE gets trapped between the cover and coil, which should be removed. They do save wear and tear on the coil especially in rocky areas and sand. I've seen several worn through coils and one with a gash from sharp stones so I use them.
My two bits,
luvsdux

OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used

Thanks again for more insight. I do get sand and wet sand trapped in between which I noticed when it came pouring out when i tilted the coil. That's why I decided to ask the ? since I was not sure and never heard anything about those things.

Does sand trapped in there affect performance? How about wet sand?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

nofoolin said:
Thanks again for more insight. I do get sand and wet sand trapped in between which I noticed when it came pouring out when i tilted the coil. That's why I decided to ask the ? since I was not sure and never heard anything about those things.

Does sand trapped in there affect performance? How about wet sand?
Any thing between the coil and coil cover can affect the performance. It could and does make your detector give false signals .

Attachments

• 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 394

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I scratched my coil on my ACE 250 before it got out of the box because I cut the zip tie with my utility knife and my had slipped a bit. I got semi-worried, did some research and bought a cover on ebay for about $14. I keep it on all the time during hunting and storage. I pop it off occasionally to clean but that's it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Coil covers are a pain in the butt! Just keep your coil about 1" above the ground and your coil will last forever. If you are worried about loosing an inch of dept, you need a new detector!
Well, I guess I am one of the guys that don't like coil covers!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also spray the coil with Plasti-dip spray, it is a rubber coating that you put on tools, but it can also be removed if you need to send detector in for repair work.... Mask the coil where you want the spray to stop and spray it on, give it 4 or 5 coats........If you need to remove it, it will be like trying to remove a tight rubber glove......If you cut or scratch it you just respray the spot.....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seal the cover gaps with a easily removed flexible mastic. If you can get hold of large van innertubes cut a big "elastic band" from the tube and stretch round the coil. Keeps the cover on and protects from cracking when you hit rocks as you bounce off.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Brian, bouncing your coil off of rocks, even with an elastic band, does not do good things to the encased coil wiring! It would be far better to run the coil a little higher!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Brian, bouncing your coil off of rocks, even with an elastic band, does not do good things to the encased coil wiring! It would be far better to run the coil a little higher!

If your swinging coil where there are rocks, you need to have a coil cover, trying to keep the coil an inch above the soil where there are rocks want protect the coil, sooner or later your going to run it into a rock and crack the coil, accidents happen.....

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think coil covers are worthless. I'm the expert on banging my coil against rocks and damaging it. I tried a cover once and destroyed it against rocks. 3/4 of the bottom of my coil is missing and I have it packed with roofing tar to keep moisture and dirt out and it still works fine. A few nicks and scratches won't affect the performance at all.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is unlikely that you will outlive the coil plastic as-is from the factory. You will probably uprade before that many years is put on the coil. BUT if you drag the coil on the ground alot (as I do for that x-tra inch of depth) you will need the cover. You will be bouncing off alot of rocks.That, really, is the only time you need a cover. The average, everyday detectorist... no. If you use one, put a couple of spots of silicone sealant under to keep it on. Color the edge black so you can see it is still there after catching the coil on heavy brush when pulling out. Bottom line... your choice. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think coil covers are worthless. I'm the expert on banging my coil against rocks and damaging it. I tried a cover once and destroyed it against rocks. 3/4 of the bottom of my coil is missing and I have it packed with roofing tar to keep moisture and dirt out and it still works fine. A few nicks and scratches won't affect the performance at all.

For every one that keeps working after cracking there are 10 that stop working. It only takes a little moisture to ruin it............

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I can't believe that there are that many careless detector users that go around banging an expensive piece of equipment against rocks instead of holding it above them. And just to gain about an inch of dept. If you need that inch so much, You should up grade your detector. I bet that in most cases you could care less about that extra inch! I have been hunting since the '70's. Never used a coil cover and never damaged a coil. A coil cover is one of those extras a dealer tries to sell you to up the price. Lets get real about this. don't mislead the new guys. I wonder just how many hunters were careless enough to damage a coil!!

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, all about coil covers, unless you have alot of money don't buy a coil cover, Just buy other Metal Detector, But if you are poor like me, Buy a Cover. :laughing7: :laughing7:

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I have been detecting since the 70's and have been banging my coil against rocks from day one. No one told me you weren't supposed to do that. My first detector lasted for 20 years of banging against rocks with no damage to the coil. From my own personal experience, I don't need one, but other people might be more comfortable using one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
I can't believe that there are that many careless detector users that go around banging an expensive piece of equipment against rocks instead of holding it above them. And just to gain about an inch of dept. If you need that inch so much, You should up grade your detector. I bet that in most cases you could care less about that extra inch! I have been hunting since the '70's. Never used a coil cover and never damaged a coil. A coil cover is one of those extras a dealer tries to sell you to up the price. Lets get real about this. don't mislead the new guys. I wonder just how many hunters were careless enough to damage a coil!!

Sorry, but those who feel coil covers are worth it are not misleading the "new guys", it isn't like a coil cover costs an arm and a leg. Take the coil cover for the Sovereign GT, it cost a wopping $12.95, a new coil costs $229.95....

One other thing to mention, you will get a better price for the coil when you go to sell it if it isn't all banged up.... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread