Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know about the 505, as there just hasn't been any of them around here being used by any locals. Some of the minelabs (like the muskateer) are better suited for land, than for ocean/salt/minerals. So I don't know how the 505 would fare here. If you want to try an explorer (I have a spare), let me know. And there is a dealer in San Jose ("the Treasure Hunter") who might have loaner/rental machines, for you to cross-compare. When it comes time to buy, also consider buying from them: http://www.treasurehunterstore.com/

Get on the California kinzli forum, as there are central coast CA hunters who chime in on there (even some from the s. cruz area).

There was just some south swells, that were putting out some modest amounts of targets on the main beach, just within the last week there. Including some rings, according to a nasty rumor I heard :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just found out that the "Treasure Hunter" store, in the San Jose area, is actually not open for business any longer. So your closest brick & mortar stores (not including Harbor Freight cheapies, or walmart toys), is going to be "Fuentes" in Watsonville, or "Valley Trophies" in Salinas.

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
One suggestion that could help you get started sooner with less expense is to check your local pawn shops to see if they have any detectors for sale.

You won't have much choice in selection but you might be able to get a detector at a bargain price which you can use until you have found or saved enough to buy what you want.

I have bought about half a dozen detectors from local (SC) pawn shops over the past few years. My best deals: Whites IDX Classic for $40., Fisher Gold Bug for $75. and Whites MXT for $300.

I hope this helps you get started!

Russ

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, a good machine to start with would be a Tesoro Silver Umax. If you put a 3x18 clean sweep coil on it, then you can cover a lot of real estate with each swing.

Now that your budget has increased, keep a lookout for a used Minelab Sovereign GT. The stock 10 inch coil will serve you well until you find enough to afford a 15 inch WOT coil. The Sov GT is a heavier machine and you would benefit from some sort of bungee sling (purchased or homemade) to take the weight off your arm.

Don't forget about a good beach scoop.

WELCOME TO TNET!!!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Becky, welcome aboard.

Ok, the first thing you need to think about is budget. Since you're new to the hobby, I wouldn't make a huge investment yet because you need to make sure you like it. Besides, even if you get a starter detector, it will make for a great backup machine when you move up.

The second thing you need to think about is where you plan to detect. There are two basic places: dry land and dry sand at the beach, and then there is the wet sand/surf or even underwater.

To start, you will probably want to focus on dry land and dry sand at the beach. Wet sand at beaches up to surf line, in my experience, don't produce many hits at all (its just the place people cross to get from their beach towels on the dry sand to the water). There are some great finds in the surf, but when you start talking about searching in the water, the cost of your machine will probably start at $700 and go up from there (be very suspicious of any "water machine" that retails new for less than that). You can start with a good dry land/dry sand detector for about $230 or less.

The two I would recommend would be the Garrett Ace 250 ($212) or the Tesoro Silver uMax ($230). I prefer the uMax, but that should mean nothing to you. It is about what you like. Check out both machines thoroughly and type in each machine in the "Search" box to see all the discussions about them. You will probably find every single question you can imagine already covered.

After that the only thing you'll want to get is a pouch for your finds, a digger, and if you plan to hit the beach frequently, a sturdy long handled sand scoop. That'll be plenty to get you started. Most of us end up getting all kinds of gear, whether we need it or not. :D

Again, welcome and good luck. You may not get rich, but you'll still have a lot of fun. :icon_thumleft:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Becky,

First, welcome to the hobby! You are going to have a ball :thumbsup:

In terms of a starter machine, DO NOT spend a lot of money initially. There are perfectly fine, good detectors that can be had for about $300. More than capable as well. Being since you are totally new to the pursuit, I'd HIGHLY recommend a detector with a VDI screen. You probably don't know what that is, so, just look for a unit that will SHOW you what you are digging.

IMHO, I'd go for the Ace 250. It is a GREAT little starter unit. VERY lightweight - many women own them for this reason. Also, I've actually used the 250 on the beach before and it works fine. As the other poster mentioned, in the wet sand, you WILL notice the machine getting very chatty, however, just lower the sensitivity and you're good to go :thumbsup:

Check out the "Personal Pages" section of this forum and look for the name "crackbadger". He, as well as MANY others have found PLENTY of amazing things with the 250.

If money wasn't an issue, I would surely give you other suggestions. But, according to your budget and the fact that you wil be starting from square one, the Ace 250 makes the most sense. It's easy enough to start finding stuff the first time out and so inexpensive that if you use it a few times and leave the hobby, you won't have to re-finance your house :thumbsup:

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I have opinions of my own-- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them." George Bush
If you ask ten people you will get ten different answers. It's like the old Ford-Chevy argument. Most people are going to tell you the best machine to use is what they personally have. Listen to some of the members that have been at it for a while. Most of them have had several machines over the years and would probably be a little less biased. The only thing I would say is don't spend a lot of money on something that you might not enjoy down the road. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Attachments

• detecting#8.jpg
    detecting#8.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 525

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your budget should put you in good stead with any of the major metal detector manufacturers. Detectors are like cars... You have Fords aand Chevy's and owners will argue till they are blue in the face over which is the best. Feel confident with your decision, and then put most of your effort into where to search. You can have the best metal detector money can buy, but if you are NOT hunting in the right area it won't matter.

Welcome to the best pastime in the world....

www.Stoutstandards.com

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
honestly i would say find some locals and see what machines they use and why....especially if they will let you try a few.....but definitely find a local dealer

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
One thing I found quickly in this hobby is that the base price of a detector is only the start. You'll then be deciding on a digging tool and find it difficult to think about spending $40 on Leschie, but if like me, you will in time. Then you will want headphones. Some people use any-old headphones, but there again, for metal detecting, headphones with MDing features like volume controls in each ear and mostly a comfortable fit, can easily cost another hundred. Last but definitely not least, is that you will want a pin pointer IMSHO. Once you dig a few holes and see the work involved, and find nothing in some of them(dry holes),,,well I was amazed at the targets I found after getting the pin pointer I now have. What I'm saying is that the [Detector($$$)+Good Digger($40)+headphones(mine were a hundred)+decent, pin pointer($50-$150), then $550 turns into a lot more. Sure, you won't buy all of this stuff the first day, but you WILL!, if you get the addiction of metal detecting. Last thing you really want to do is to buy just a detector, cheap garden tool from WalMarts that'll soon break, start hitting dry holes, "and then say I give up!" The best investment I made in the last few weeks since getting started was the Garretts Pro Pointer(pin pointer.) It cost me $127 on the internet, but the best best is that it revived my interest since I basically hit no dry holes anymore.

As far as just the detector, I agree with your BF in not buying only economy. I'm very new myself, so I'd hope someone here would suggest to you what a good "turn on and go" machine is for $550. Also, remember that sales tax(if you buy locally and not internet) will cost you as much or more than what you will eventually spend on an accessory @ $500 +Sales tax.

My advice after thinking though is maybe to return to your $250-$300 detector price, the ACE250 gets a lot of votes here, and understand that you will be buying this other stuff, so $550 is still gonna be reduced from your CC. That pin pointer would have certainly been my first priority purchase, aside from the detector, if done over again. I love that beep from the PP when I've dug 3-4 inches in hard soil, sweating and thinking about giving up...that thing beeps, points in a direction, and you KNOW there's something there without doubt.

Just start having fun as soon as possibly with whatever you choose to buy. Accessories, IMO, have a lot to do with that event. martin

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw 2 experienced treasure hunters suggest the ACE 250... I agree with them... so what are you waiting for? Best of luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom Bigbee said:
I saw 2 experienced treasure hunters suggest the ACE 250... I agree with them... so what are you waiting for? Best of luck!
Tom, Check out her most recent post. She got one. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread