What digging tool(s) do you use and why?

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on where I'm hunting. For the woods and places where big holes aren't a problem, I use a 40" Lesche Ground Shark (3.25" x 12" blade) or a Lesche Model 76 Digging Knife for shallow targets. For grass I use a no-name tool I got a long time ago...it works great. For the beach I use a full-size sand scoop.

HH!
TBGO

Attachments

• turf_knife.jpg
    turf_knife.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3,739
  • lesche-ground-shark.jpg
    lesche-ground-shark.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • Lesche76mini.jpg
    Lesche76mini.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,730
  • turf_knife.jpg
    turf_knife.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,016

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
I use a Lesche 76 digging tool for coinshooting and shallow relics.It has a serrated edge to cut through roots.It will definitely get the job done. And oh yea...It's American made!

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a garden trowel but it is an OXO brand one that I picked up at Lowes. It has serated edges that are good for cutting smaller roots. I wouldnt use it on anything more than 1/2 diamiter though. For the $10 it has been WAY worth it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "Gator" tool , a heavy stainless steel flat pointed type tool, a plastic scoop, and a pruning pliars. The Gator is almost identical to the Lesche tool and works well as an all around digging tool. The stainless steel one I use when I just want to pull out small plugs. I use the plastic scoop at the beach because my detector will read right through the plastickand I can tell when a target is in the scoop. The pruning shears are small and a life saver when I encounter roots. Just a snip, snip and I keep on digging. For heavy stuff I have a long handled sand scoop by Zeke and a couple of odd shap short handled shovels, one round face and the other a long faced narrow onel I have used a WWII Mauser Bayonet in a pinch.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a lesche predator trowel that i am happy with. it is strong enough to give you some prying power to pry up a plug, and it has a serrated edge to saw through roots. it has been all i have needed so far.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche seems to be the choice so far. Prices?

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi all, I mainly use a Wilcox allpro No. 52 stainless trowel.So far it has outlasted any generic garden trowel by miles!!!!! I picked up a small generic shovel for relic hunting in the woods and I just made a coin probe yesterday(but haven't been out yet to try it!!!)
HH
Greg

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are kind of pricey...I would Google "Lesche" and see what the different detector shops are selling them for. There is a company that makes the Lesche diggers, but a guy named Lesche also makes the Lesche Predator diggers. I think Lesche started the company, then moved on and created a new brand...kind of confusing.

HH!
TBGO

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gator tool is almost identical to the Lesche and has a lifetime warranty, will break after prying about a thousand times. Shop around for the Lesche as it is on sale sometimes at a reasonable price. Monty

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post Leon!!

Thanks all for the replies!!

Gator or Lesche??????

I'm a big guy and am worried about snapping the Gator. Anyone have issues with Lesche?

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathabs said:
great post Leon!!

Thanks all for the replies!!

Gator or Lesche??????

I'm a big guy and am worried about snapping the Gator. Anyone have issues with Lesche?

I'm telling you all to save your money and go to Lowes and pick up an OXO brand garden trowell. It WILL NOT bend, WILL NOT break, and it works just as good as the $40 to $50 models. AND IT IS ONLY TEN BUCKS! It has serated edges for cutting too!

angeltrash1

Greenie
Jul 14, 2004
texas
i"m using a weed wacker from home depot - works great as a probe and able to go thru small roots - 2.98 - it seems pretty strong- but we will see how long it last.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Out here, you need a pick, shovel, and a jack hammer. Gotta love caliche! Stuff is like mother nature's concrete!

Here are the two diggers that I use most. I made both of these myself. You can tell which one I use most. I use a police type flashlight carrier for it.

The trowel is made from 2 inch angle iron and although you can't tell in the picture, it is sharpened. It also has a "knuckle buster" guard for really aggressive digging, as in overhead downward stabbing motion. (See the caliche statement above!) It has a piece of 1/2 inch rod welded to it for a handle and I used a golf club grip over that. Only had it out a couple times, but so far so good.

The pick/hoe type is made from 1 1/2 inch by 3/16 flat stock that has a slight curve to it and the same handle set up, only longer.

Both have been hardened for durability.

The golf club grips are pretty cheap and can be bought at any golf pro shop. Getting them over the rod it a bit of a trick though. I fought with the first one for over an hour. Then while back at the golf pro shop, I learned a trick. Get the grip started and then fill it with water through the little hole in the back end if the grip. Next cover the hole and start pushing the grip forward. When there is enough pressure the water will push its way out around the rod and the rubber grip will very easily slide all the way forward. Now just let it dry for a couple days before using it. I haven't had one twist, move, or otherwise try to come off yet.

Attachments

• Diggers.JPG
    Diggers.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 591

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
By the way, I also saved myself about 75 bucks by making my own lightweight fiberglass hiking stick. Go to the army surplus store and buy a 5 foot fiberglass radio antenna for a hummer. It comes with a 1 1/2 inch rubber ball on the top. Turn it upside down and mark the spot that it meets the middle of your chest. Cut it off with a hacksaw at that mark. Now put one of the rubber golf club grips on it. There you have it.

The antenna was free because the part where it mounts to the spring was cracked, the golf club grip was about two bucks. These make great hiking sticks which really come in handy when scouting new hunting spots in rugid terrain.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
MDtools.jpg

Personally, I like the Lesche Predator. The one pictured with the orange handle. http://www.predatortools.com/

It is well made of good quality steel and the serrated edge is good for helping to cut through roots and sod... It looks intimidating at first glance but the edges are not sharp and the tip is rounded over.

Lesche makes a number of shovels and other digging tools that, it appears, are also popular among landscape and nursery professionals.

The other digger, the one with the black handle, that I have is nice, in that it is constructed out of one piece of steal. It is bent and shaped all out of one piece which means no welds to break. It has a more broad end that is more sharp than the edges of the Predator. There are many cheaper immitations of this digger out there so look carefully.

Before these, I was just using off the shelf trowels from the local hardware or home center. There was one that I saw once that was cast out of one piece but when I went to find one for my detecting kit, I could never find one. All I was able to find were trowels with handles made of steel rod etc. that were tack welded to a metal blade. In no time, the welds would break and the blade would come off. So, I would suggest spending the money and getting a good digger like the Lesche or the other that I have pictured above. Look around at MDing sites and you might even find some other good candidates.

When I ordered my Lesche, I was a little concerned over it's appearance. I had thoughts of whether I could get in trouble using it in public parks or on the beach.... Being that it has the Rambo kind of appearance. Keep in mind, when selecting a tool, local laws and ordinances regarding knives, daggers or bayonets. While you are talking about a digger, some may fall into another legal catagory by their design. Pointed tips, sharpened edges or length from tip to handle can be specifications here. The predator is probably too long for here in Illinois. However it's tip is definately rounded, the blade is cupped some and the edges while honed down to be thinner than the rest of the blade are NOT sharpened. So, I felt that it might be a safe tool that shouldn't cause me any problems. At quick glance someone could mistake it but on close examination I don't think one could mistake it for a knife. Some people do use survival or hunting knives and such so if you are going to consider that, check your local or state laws first.

In addition to the above diggers, I also keep a sand scoop in a 5 gal bucket with my other tools. I keep that in the back of my car with my detector. I take the bucket out on the beach with me and pick up my trash and put it in there. Then I dump my garbage in an appropriate container, on my way back to the car.

I also bought a digger that is used for digging holes to plant bulbs. I am still looking for a better quality one. The one I got is made of cheap tubular steel. I had one other just like it but after about 20 minutes of detecting last fall, the handle bent. I took a hacksaw and cut the damage off, tapped some new screws and fixed it. 15 minutes later it was bent again. The problem is the light weight steel and the fact that the handle is offset from the center of the digger end. So, as you twist it to take your plug out, you easilly can bend it up. Got to keep looking for a better one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread