where to hunt for coins?

N

neu

i'm getting tired of relic hunting around my home... im interested in coin/jewlery hunting. mostly coin. what im hoping to find out, is where are some good places to hunt?? public type places... where do you guys usually hunt to find older coins?? ive never coin hunted in my 6 years of detecting, i never went hunting specifically for coins, but now im thinking thats what i want to do, im tired of digging nothing but junk. so im hoping you all will give me some new idea's of places to hunt, what places have you found to be the best?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detecting Fool said:
I am a coin collector.? Its the whole reason why I started metal detecting at the age of 12 all those years ago.? There have been many fine examples of good hunting sights listed, and I have hunted them all, but I would also like to add cemeteries.? In fact, its where I have had my best luck.? I know a lot of people shun cemeteries, for one reason or another, and thats fine, everyones entitled to their opinion, but boy, do I love them.? In the old cemetery where I hunt, in the past year, I have not found a coin newer then a 1942 Mercury dime.? The oldest silver coin I found was an 1826 D half franc.? The oldest coin I found was an 1820 Large cent.? I also found an 1836 large cent, 50 different Indian heads, including 1873 and 1875s both unbelievably clean for being in the ground, and in at least VF condition, two two cent pieces, both 1864, lots of wheat's from the teens and twenties, two V nickels, 1891 and 1893, several buffaloes, barber dimes, mercury dimes, and my first barber half dollar.? And thats with me not hunting as much as I used to when I was single (I am now married with 3 kids).

Just my 2 cent pieces, but if you do it right, cemeteries, can be very profitable.

Good luck.

Anthony

I'm not calling you a liar or anything, and I'm not sure if I could actually do it or not, but I always thought it was illegal to hunt in cemetaries ???

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
It all depends on the local law enforcement in your area. Sometimes you run into people who think they own areas they do not. Example of this is the grassy strips between the sidewalk and the street. It's public but some home owners believe they own that area. I have had two experiences with that. One the cop threatened me with a tresspassing ticket, I said for public land? Then I got threatened with worse. The other a home owner called the cops, and the cop wanted to give the home owner the ticket. So I do not do grassy strips anymore. They did have alot of rings in them!

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm not calling you a liar or anything, and I'm not sure if I could actually do it or not, but I always thought it was illegal to hunt in cemeteries ???

It all depends on who you ask for permission.? If you get permission, nothings illegal.?

And like I said in the first part of the post, I know some people are against hunting cemeteries, but I will take a cemetery over a park any day of the week.? Everyones entitled to their opinions of where to hunt.? All the finds in my post, were found in one cemetery that I have been hunting for two years, and I having only covered about 10% of the area that I will hunt.? And thats only the most recent cemetery I have hunted.

Anthony

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I have found 5 mercuries and a hand full of wheaties and clads and also a silver wedding band in my own yard.My local fairgrounds dates back to 1906 and I have found some nice coins there as far back as 1880.Swimming beaches,gravel parking areas have been good to me for newer coins,researching schools have also been productive.
bigrig

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Hey Chief...

Didn't say it earlier but thanks for your service. It means more to most of us than we can ever say. I have a son stationed at NAS Whidby, he went in after 9/11. I am more than grateful to all the service people out there.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread