where to hunt for coins?

N

neu

i'm getting tired of relic hunting around my home... im interested in coin/jewlery hunting. mostly coin. what im hoping to find out, is where are some good places to hunt?? public type places... where do you guys usually hunt to find older coins?? ive never coin hunted in my 6 years of detecting, i never went hunting specifically for coins, but now im thinking thats what i want to do, im tired of digging nothing but junk. so im hoping you all will give me some new idea's of places to hunt, what places have you found to be the best?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Small town city parks and fair grounds. Just be sure to ask at City Hall if it is ok. I always ask via email so I got a written record saying I could. Larger towns are usually hit pretty hard. No park is ever hunted out, but the do get the run over by a lot of people.

OP
OP
N

neu

where else? besides parks and play grounds? is there anywhere with easy and quick access to, without having to get all tho permits and talking to 5 different people just to get to talk to the one that makes the difference.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If you want public places, you are going to need to know what the laws are no matter what type of public place it is. If you do it without asking, you run the risk of being run off, ticketed, or arrested. Every town can have different laws in place, or restrct which places can be detected.

Sorry, don't know what you are asking I guess. If it's Public property, there may or may not be any rules associated with MDing. Every state and city will have different rules. You need to ask, or just do it and hope you don't get arrested (which makes all of us detectorist look bad).

Private property is another matter. Just knock on the door and ask.

OP
OP
N

neu

do u know if the designated swimming area at lakes, the little beach, would be a good place to find coins? thats the kind of places i was walking about

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Not sure if your talking lake beaches or ocean beaches here, but lake public beaches are usually good for clad coins and maybe some jewelry, but usually not so good on older coins. Beaches get hit pretty hard because it's easy diggins and you are sure to at least bring home some clad coins. Ocean beaches get recycled everyday due to the waves and tide, so it's a different site everyday you go down to it.

Same thing applies here though since it's public. If it's public, you gotta know what the rules are. Where I live you can hunt only specific beaches and you gotta obtain a permit to do it. The permit is free, but you have to have it on your person or you get fined and run off if caught without one.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Neu,

I am going to help you to find a good place for coins. I've been reading your posts and can tell you have a genuine interest in this hobby and don't have an ego problem with asking for a little help. I've had tremendous luck being aggressive with research and with "making the ask" (to use a sales term) of private property owners in a nice/compelling way when needed. Tell us the town or general region where you live and I will do some research to help you out. I don't buy into the idea of going to the public parks and places where everyone goes as a first option. Others will disagree, but I think it's much more rewarding to find the 'hidden gem' sites by doing the research. It's also much more rewarding to find a place on your own. I found an amazing virgin site this way recently that's right along a major road, with lots of silver and other coins, but nobody apparently knew it used to be a swimming hole decades ago. It's a very small area of land, but continues to yield great finds. I have others I still haven't gotten to yet based on research. Anyway, tell me the town or region and I'll find you some sites.

OP
OP
N

neu

i live in the lebanon, tennessee area. thanks for your help bergie. you're too kind

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, I did some quick checking in the archives of the Tennessean, seeing
as you are relatively close to Nashville, from what I could tell. Had
some good luck with the initial search. Checking their archives back to
1999 using "swimming hole" there was a great article Aug. 10 a couple
years ago on locations in the area, including "hidding sites". The
article summary is available for free and I've included below, but you'd
have to purchase the whole article or go to a library and find it for
free. You could also try calling the reporter listed below and asking
for a copy. This would be well worth getting for some great sites. After
that, you will be on your own to go check out the sites, ask for
permission, etc. I'm sure the Tennessean covers a large area, so you'll
want to know what's feasible in terms of travel. You'll find that doing
this research and "hunting" for the sites themselves is as rewarding as
finding things in the ground. If there are other newspapers closer to
your home, check archives of those too.
(article summary)
Ready for a Dip?
August 10, 2002 ?? 2338 words ?? ID: nsh2002081211382195
Plunge into locals' favorite swimming holes to beat the summer heat By
CARRIE FERGUSON Staff Writer What is it about humans and water? We are
so naturally drawn to it, and who wouldn't be in the middle of a
blistering summer such as we've had here? A few weeks ago, we asked
readers to disclose their favorite swimming holes. Most are the private
paradises of a lucky few who were sporting enough to tell us about them,
and thereby making us long for our own spots.
---
Using "old swimming hole" in the search I found this interesting one,
again, only summary available for free. You could maybe find this lady
mentioned in the article (Rebecca Horton) in the phone book or by more
research, calling the reporter, etc and ask her about an old swimming
hole. That phrase is mentioned in the article, but is not part of the
summary. Checking the area around where the airplane hanger was might be
worthwhile too.
1. MY HOME, THE HANGAR
June 29, 2001 ?? 1197 words ?? ID: nsh10249497475621
REBECCA HORTON FINDS REFUGE FOR HER SPIRIT AND HER COLLECTIONS IN WHAT
WAS ONCE A SHELTER FOR AIRPLANES By SYLVIA SLAUGHTER Staff Writer When
she was a child, people would ask Rebecca Horton where she lived and she
would give them the only answer she knew: the first hangar on the left.
She wasn't being flip. Far from it. She was being factual. Rebecca
Horton grew up in a converted 1940s airplane hangar in a wooded haven in
Brentwood when Brentwood was mostly field

OP
OP
N

neu

thanks bergie, you are too kind. sounds very interesting, im gonna look into things like this at my local library. thanks for the help i will tell u what i can find out about these things soon. you guys are the best, thanks

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, you may also know, but most libraries have a local historic section or document section that would have old articles, maps and photos. You can come across great stuff there.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Neu, you didn't state if you are looking for a specific period in coinage, or what age you'd like a site to be. Not getting picky, but my hunt routines run the gammut from mining the playgrounds and carnies to digging the rural and forgotten. Others are purists, seeking only the oldest sites and leaving behind the modern coins and jewelry and relics of the future. Find those folks local to you (relatively speaking) who share your paticular interests and you may be welcome to join them and learn to develop your own leads through your interaction.

I do read old newspapers at the library on slow days. Very old to not-so-old. Sometimes there is a mention of an event or chain of events in the social columns of days gone bye. Sometimes there is anecdotal humor related to a local "hangout" or "swimmin' hole" or just a notice of a spot now overgrown of a Boy Scout camp or even military movement. Which Lebanon, Tn are you in? Seems it's a popular name for towns in Tn.

OP
OP
N

neu

lowbatts, im looking for sites where i can find both newer and older coins, if it was just a site where i had the potential for digging older coins i think i would be happy. i would just like to get into coin/jewlery hunting for now, and learn more about it, just some basic places to start off would be great. then as time progressed i could start thinking like a coin hunter, and whenever i heard people talk, or read something, i could pick up on things that would lead me to the older coins, and so on.
thank you for your help everyone.
the lebanon i live in is in middle tennessee, near nashville and murfreesboro

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I like to hunt where they tear up the sidewalks, If the town is old lots of times the walks were put over the old wooden board walks. I find alot of pre-1900 coins that way.

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a coin collector. Its the whole reason why I started metal detecting at the age of 12 all those years ago. There have been many fine examples of good hunting sights listed, and I have hunted them all, but I would also like to add cemeteries. In fact, its where I have had my best luck. I know a lot of people shun cemeteries, for one reason or another, and thats fine, everyones entitled to their opinion, but boy, do I love them. In the old cemetery where I hunt, in the past year, I have not found a coin newer then a 1942 Mercury dime. The oldest silver coin I found was an 1826 D half franc. The oldest coin I found was an 1820 Large cent. I also found an 1836 large cent, 50 different Indian heads, including 1873 and 1875s both unbelievably clean for being in the ground, and in at least VF condition, two two cent pieces, both 1864, lots of wheat's from the teens and twenties, two V nickels, 1891 and 1893, several buffaloes, barber dimes, mercury dimes, and my first barber half dollar. And thats with me not hunting as much as I used to when I was single (I am now married with 3 kids).

Just my 2 cent pieces, but if you do it right, cemeteries, can be very profitable.

Good luck.

Anthony

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Neu,

Glad to see another Tennessean in this Forum. I grew up in Mt. Juliet. Just down the road from you. A good area in your area might be the Boxwell Boy Scout Camp out on Highway 109 going towards Galitin. In addition to some good coin finds, you may find some excellent relics. The land used to belong to my family back in the 1850's. I have a little more history on the area if you would like me to provide it.

By the way, I live in Corpus Christi, Texas now where I am stationed on a Mine Sweeper but I get back to Middle Tennessee as often as I can.

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

gutzdigger

Greenie
Apr 6, 2004
Nashville Tennessee
Hey Neu, Gutz here. I live in Nashville. Not much help in finding new places outside of Nashville but my friend and I have been hunting the newer playgrounds around town during the cold days. Most are wood chips or sand and are very easy digging. I dont expect to find anything old but its good practice and who knows that ring might be in the next hole. I did find a relic last weekend. I couldnt decide if it was a union or rebel cell phone! LOL never know what you might find. I come home with a few dollars in clad each time out and things are always being lost on those places. CAUTION! Dont get spoiled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread