Cornfields?

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Have any of you ever hunted them? Experiences?
I have a few right across from my driveway I am thinking of getting permission to hunt, I know my dad used to walk them when he was a kid and find old coins and arrow heads and such, Kindof wondering if its worth my time though since this area floods every year. Potential to be super trashy.
Also? Would it make more sense to go after they have cut the corn for the season or wait until next year when they have it plowed up?
Thanks!
Kara

Upvote 0

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i do corn fields almost exclusively
i find the best time is just after the frost is out of the ground
that way the ground is smoother
as for what you will find that depends on how old the field is and what its been used for
your post said that your dad use to find coins as eye candy so they should be great

OP
OP
karajo

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks!
True about renewing itself too, Im just a bit worried about it being super duper trashy since it is a flood plane and floods at LEAST once a year.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a corn field or prone to flooding means absolutely nothing! It's all about the history of what took place there.

Corn stalks can be a pain if they weren't cut low, but if you're finding stuff they're easy enough to get around.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corn fields are great. Try to find an old map of the area to see if it had an old house on or near it. It is common sense when to detect it. If it is brush hogged (cut) to help revitalize the soil that is a good time. I can actually search about 6" of the ground if needed and find items 6 to 10 inches down. You won,t know what your detector will actually do until you try it. One last point, fields are generally large so I would go more than once and especially after a nice soaking rain. The last flooded corn field I detected gave up a 1 Reale, 4 coppers,and 3 us silver coins. Unfortunately my best best find was a two piece button.

Ed D.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only silver dollar I ever found was in a corn field where the corn was well taller then me. I could not swing the coil more then a few inches either way but it was worth it. As a boy growing up on a farm we used to always play hide and seek in the corn fields, so there is a good chance you may find a lost coin or two.

1899-O Uncleaned.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread