Taking metal detector to Mexico

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I remembered having an old metal detector back in Texas, I think a Garrett, with a number of heads.

Considering where and how long it has been stored, I am guessing it is junk.

On the other hand, it will only take a sack full of 9 volt batteries to find out, if I can't see any obvious damage, right?

Well, the question I have is, does anyone know if there are any import rules to Mexico that would make it hard to bring that thing in? If there are, I'll let it sit there and rot away. I bought it to explore some old house holes on my father's farm years ago. I could tell which way those small houses, now long gone, were built, by the little nails that fell off the roof on two sides. I thought that was pretty neat.

I tend to follow all rules and laws, so if I bring it in, it would have to be in compliance with the rules, not taking a chance on getting serious problems.

I also asked on a Mexico forum, and if there is a good answer there, will share here as well.

I did not look at all pages, sorry if I missed a posting on this. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"import rules" for bringing in a detector to Mexico? No. No-more-so than taking any other personal tourist item in, across the border (eg.: your camera, your surf-board, etc...). All the major dealers (whites, garrett, fisher, etc..) have dealers in the major cities in Mexico, so simply having one, is not a problem either.

Any "import" problems would be perhaps if you were carrying dozens for re-sale, and there became some sort of tax problem?

I crossed the border in Juarez, with the detectors we had in full view of the border patrol. Both coming and going. Never had a problem. In fact, on the way in, one of the border patrol asked my interpretor: "what's those?" My interprettor told him "pasa tiempo" (loosely translated "hobby"). The border patrol just shrugged his shoulders, and waived us through.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Maybe I'll look at that machine and see if it still works, then. As long as I declare it, even if they say I can't take it in, they usually don't hit you too hard. Thanks. Other experiences welcome.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know if you make it in country

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
TORRERO said:
Let us know if you make it in country

Putting it that way is kind of scary. ;D

It won't be until maybe October when I am scheduled to go back to the States.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For anyone who lives near the major points of crossing (Juarez, Tijuana, etc...) they will tell you that the stream of crossings at the border towns, of american tourists, is endless. There is no requirement that you be stripped to your underwear and can't carry anything of value across. To the contrary, tourists might have laptops, cameras, ipods, surfboard, or any other incidentals in their cars. Then at night, they cross back to San Diego or whatever to their hotel. I don't get where/when someone thinks that tourists can't have an item, or a particular kind of item (assuming it's not illegal)? Unless you were transporting commercial amounts for resale (ie.: bringing cigarrettes or cheap mexican booze back over the border for re-sale here, or something), then anything besides commercial endevours like that would seem to just be immediate personal property.

Trust me: the border has their hands full stopping drugs and illegal immigration.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Of course, your point is well taken. When I am in the States, I live in McAllen, not far from Reynosa and am well aware of the large number of people crossing.

Once, at the Pharr bridge, an aduana told me next time I needed a letter from a doctor for my Wal-mart vitamins and supplements. I was taking enough for six months, since I was going to be in Mexico that long.

Of course, doctors know less about nutrition than the average patient (by actual studies) so it would be almost impossible to get a letter or prescription for vitamins. (If McCain gets his law requiring prescriptions for vitamins passed, those of us who feel a need will be up a dirty creek with no paddle.)

So, this was an example where no such rule has ever been disseminated, that I know of, but nonetheless he was telling me that. In my experience, the rules in Mexico are exactly what the person across the desk says they are, and there is no appeal, except bribery which is risky because technically it is also illegal.

It also makes a difference when you cross on foot, with things secreted in a small back-pack or in my case my Bean Bag, where it does not look like I can have much in there.

Or, when you are clearly taking a day trip for fun, and can use the No Declare Lane with no fear.

Versus in my case, I usually do have to declare, because we are importing several hundreds of dollars of various items for our house here in rural Puebla, and by definition they are going to be looking in our car.

I have participated in Mexico forums since 1997 and many of us who spend much time in Mexico do ask when we are taking something out of the ordinary. Because we have seen a variety of problems during declaration and want to know if anyone has had any problem with that unusual item. Thus my question.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you do not have to declare any metal detector going in or coming out of Mexico .Now if you find tons of gold or silver or museum artifacts yes you would have to declare those but not the detectors themselves .Take your detector an have a great time HH :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Ok, I'll give it a try if it still works. Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably report back here just as a matter of Netiquette.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread