COIL COVER--THE FACTS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
COIL COVER--THE FACTS

I realize everyone has their opinion, but lets just answer 3 questions here and then come back later to draw our own conclusion from the facts!
1-How long have you been using a metal detector?

2-How many coils have you broken?

3-Do you use a coil cover on all of your detectors?
Please come back and check the facts later, thank you.

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: COIL COVER--THE FACTS

Been using detectors since around 2003, Didnt start using a coil cover til about 2007, I do use a coil cover on my detectors now after breaking one on a GTI 2500 that I had.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

1. About 10 years

2. 0 broken coils

3. Yes, I use a coil cover if available. I started using one after I noticed deep scratches in the bottom of my coils.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

1-Detecting about 40 yrs.

2-Have not damaged a coil yet.

3-Have never used a coil cover

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Detecting since 1978. Used a coil cover for the first time in 2002, stopped using it after about 3 months, got tired of taking it off to clean it and had never had an issue before using one. Have never broken a coil although some have gotten pretty ugly.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Use them on all detectors in the last 40 years except a few such as Eric Fosters P.I.'s which don't need them as the top half of his coil "shell" is filled with an almost indestructable resin and thats what provides the bottom of the coil.

Have never broken a coil but some are very prone to chipping from the edges. A coil cover prevents this and on most machines pay for themselves when you come to sell as the original coil underneath stays immaculate.
With or without a cover a rubber band cut from an old innertube and stretched round prevents damage.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Never used a cover, started detecting back in early 80's. Use White's machines and their coils seem pretty darn tough. Never broke one.

Al

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

30+ years of detecting.

Never broke a coil.

Never bought a coil cover.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

Hi everyone,
Started in '92, never messed up a coil, and always use a cover. I'ts purely a personal choice. The manufactuers make coils plenty durable enough. I just like to keep my stuff in perfect order. It can pay off when it's time to sell.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

About 40 years digging in the dirt. Have wore the edges off a couple coils when I didn't use a cover and now I either use a coil cover or coat the coil with Marine Epoxy to save the coil. However the Epoxy takes away from its resale value I think. Even grass can wear out the edges of a coil over time.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Been detecting since 1974 used coil covers since they been offered.
Never broken a coil. Have several coils that look new on the bottom.
I do use them on all my current detectors. Special note here Compass
and Fisher only company that has tight fit covers. My Compass had a
cover on it for 15 years never took it off,was brand new when I did!
My Fisher 1280X use on the beach and took it off once a season and found
little sand under it. My White's and Minelab detectors have to be cleaned
if you hunt more than 4hrs in the surf. They have enought sand to make
a beach at home

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

1 Started detecting in the mid '70's.
2 Never broke a coil but wore the bottom out on a White's 5.3 Bullseye coil. (Not my "primary" detector but scrubbing the grass for about 15 years finally got it!)
3 I used a coil cover on verything I owned, until I started spraying them with bed liner/spray on PVC.
The thing is, you've gotta take the things off to clean under them and sometimes they crack.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. I started detecting in 1923

2. Never broke a coil

3. What's a coil?

Actually;

1. Detecting since about '92

2. Never broke a coil

3. Always use a cover.

Yeah, you might have to clean them, and they may crack, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, that's why they are replaceable and cheap.

Best-Mike

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Yeah, you might have to clean them, and they may crack, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, that's why they are replaceable and cheap.
Best-Mike

I hear you Mike! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I simply found that I get all the benefits of a coil cover without the hassle of having to take them off to clean under them, if I coat them with bedliner or spray on PVC.

I agree, the price of a coil cover or can of spray on coating is definitely a great investment!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards, SkyPilot

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

50 years

never wore out a loop

use only if they are free

NGE

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2

1) About 4 years.
2) Never broke a coil
3) Always use a coil cover. (put it on can't get it off.)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

18 years.

Never broke or loop.

Always used a loop cover--but have never seen any damage to the cover at all. (so now wondering if it's even worth it)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

12 years detecting - always used a cover - haven't had any problems personally, but know of several cases of heavy beach hunting where the sand wore through and one where a rock cut a gash clear through. I sometimes hunt in both sand and/or rock so I use them. I do remove them and clean any crud from them regularly.
luvsdux

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

I used to use coil covers, but I don't any more. Four reasons:

1. They add weight to your detector.

2. They reduce your depth.

3. They cost money.

4. It would take me so long to wear through a coil that the detector would be obsolete by then anyway.

---Dan, http://treasuremanual.com

P.S. Before someone asks how they reduce depth: They add another layer to the bottom of your coil, raising your coil that much farther from the ground, and from your targets. Okay, you say, what's an eighth of an inch? Hmmm. Usually it doesn't matter, but sooner or later you're going to miss something fantastic that was just an eighth of an inch below your maximum depth.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan Hughes said:
I used to use coil covers, but I don't any more. Four reasons:

1. They add weight to your detector.

2. They reduce your depth.

3. They cost money.

4. It would take me so long to wear through a coil that the detector would be obsolete by then anyway.

---Dan, http://treasuremanual.

P.S. Before someone asks how they reduce depth: They add another layer to the bottom of your coil, raising your coil that much farther from the ground, and from your targets. Okay, you say, what's an eighth of an inch? Hmmm. Usually it doesn't matter, but sooner or later you're going to miss something fantastic that was just an eighth of an inch below your maximum depth.

Dan,

1. If the weight of a coil cover makes it difficult to swing, you need a new hobby. REALLY ? A couple of ounces?

2. Depth reduction is miniscule. If you spend much time nugget shooting in the desert or beach hunting, the height above the ground you have to hold the coil (without cover) is MUCH greater than being able to scrub it on rocks, cacti, sand, etc, with a coil cover.

3. Cheap insurance for expensive coils.

4. Maybe yourself, but other people who use their detectors in more rugged places would destroy their coils in no time at all.

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread