Diamond tester

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I am going to purchase a diamond tester. I know several others on this forum have testers of their own. I was wondering what type is being used and if there are any better than others. I understand it is the same as purchasing a new md. everyone has their favorite. I have seen prices from $39 out of hong kong to several hundred.
I expect to probably pay somewhere around $225.
Thank you for any pointers
Joe

Upvote 0

FunInTheSun

Greenie
Aug 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Excalibur 1000, Sovereign GT, Vibraprobe
Joe,

Wise choice. Pay as much as you can afford. Be aware that a tester that only tests CZ vs Diamond is not going to check for Moissanite. Only the higher end tester will do Moissanite. And even then, it's no guarantee, because the thermal conductivity of diamond and Moissanite are very close. When you test, follow directions carefully, and perform more than one test before you pass judgement. Good Luck.
--Mike

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
FunInTheSun said:
Joe,

Wise choice. Pay as much as you can afford. Be aware that a tester that only tests CZ vs Diamond is not going to check for Moissanite. Only the higher end tester will do Moissanite. And even then, it's no guarantee, because the thermal conductivity of diamond and Moissanite are very close. When you test, follow directions carefully, and perform more than one test before you pass judgement. Good Luck.
--Mike

Excellent reply. I use a GemPro PRO-DTester model. Mine will also test for sapphires as well. Moissanite jewelry in a display case will be lighted by pinkish to orangish display light to give more of a diamond sparkle. When closely examined under maginification in normal daylight, the stone will have a very slight gray/gray-greenish tint to it. Practised examination is the key. Moissanite will fool even the experts at times. Further, more sophisticated testing is often required.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread