Ace 250 Comments and Questions

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
First, let me tell you that my brother-in-law and I wanted to see if we would enjoy this hobby, so last spring we went together on an MPX machine. We both loved it, so this year I decided I wanted my own detector and opted for the Ace 250.

I received my Ace about 2 weeks ago, but never had the chance to try it out. Yesterday I had a bunch of things to do, but decided that if I got everything on my honey-do list done within a certain amount of time ? I was going to try out the Ace and make sure it worked okay.

I took the Ace into my backyard where I previously found a WWII German Bronze Star, a lot of garbage (i.e., old rusty unidentifiable junk) and one single clad dime with our MPX.

Well, the first thing I found with the Ace was garbage (a twisted part of an old aluminum can) and I thought: Okay, here we go again ? same as the MPX. Then in my 20 minute test I dug up an old key, two memorial cents, a wheatie and a silver war nickel!! I was thrilled. I?d been over this yard with the MPX several times ? but didn?t really find any coins!!

I was also thrilled that pinpointing seemed to be very easy on this machine. I was worried about this because of other posts I had seen on this forum, but I found it to be very accurate and very intuitive. The pinpointing is very similar to the MPX but easier.

So after 20 minutes I was already extremely happy with my purchase. Then I realized something!!!! I forgot to remove the protective plastic coil cover before I used it.

I guess my question to all of you experienced veterans is this: Does the coil cover make that much of a difference? Would it have been even more accurate without the cover?

Also, one other question for you Ace users: I tried to use the headphones that came with the MPX on the Ace, but they didn?t work at all. At first I thought there was something wrong with the headphone jack on the Ace, but a cheap (I mean really cheap) set of phones worked. Have any of you found that the Ace is picky about what kind of head phones are being used?

Thanks Everyone!!
Urbs (Tom)
;D

Upvote 0

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've always used mine with the coil cover, so I can't make any comaprison. With the coil cover being plastic, I don't think it would have any effect on accuracy. As for headphones, I bought a cheap $10 or $15 set from Radio Shack. I also had to buy an adapter so that the one-eighth inch plug would work with the one-fourth inch jack. It has worked just fine.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual should state the size of the headphone jack so you can buy one that fits. I would spend $25 to $60. Headphones make it easier to hear and you don,t attract so much attention.

Ed

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Headphones for the Ace are stereo. Make sure your others are. If so they should work. Always use the coil cover, I do not have one for my Ace and the bottom os really scratched bad and there is a small crack. I have heard others having problems with this as well.
Good luck to you, the ACE is awesome!!!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread