Florida Colonial Relic Hunters...

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
ive personaly never found any relics but I was planning on going up to the northern part of the state this summer. Where is the best place to hunt for relics in florida?

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
colorado14ers said:
ive personaly never found any relics but I was planning on going up to the northern part of the state this summer. Where is the best place to hunt for relics in florida?

If I lived in Colonial Florida, I would be focusing on lands near the inlets. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You just have to do the research! Start with United States Treasure Atlas. Florida is in Volume#3. It starts on page 230.
Here's a good one! #330,Green cove springs. It was a pirate camp. 1774-1784 Gov Tonyo's Plantation was located here. In 17 Th century St. John River was a pirate center. Etc., Etc.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know one problem is the undeveloped waterfront land around here is either owned by the government or privat ecompanies that won't give anyone a pass to search.

It's not impossible, but it is tough. I have two good sites scoped out from years ago that I can't get near. Frustrating.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smudge: No one ownes the beach, it is open to the public up to the high tide mark and in some cases to the dune line. The only restrictions are on National Seasures & possibly NOAA controlled areas.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its hard to access "historically" interesting spots --most of the water front type area (where almost all of the colonial era type folks lived being in private or corperate hands that say "nope" --its very rough) however areas when you can get access can be quite productive however.---having 3 colonial type eras spanish pre 1763 --english 1763 to 1783 --and spanish again from 1783 to 1821 (when the US got florida) --there is a fair amount of spanish silver lurking about --althought it seems for the last 40 years that almost every city block in florida has at least 1 metal detectorist on it , and every tourist that owns a detector at one point in time has tried their luck on floridas beaches.

many of the best areas have been declared "histioric preserve areas" by the state arch dept. --esp around st augustine (so no metal detecting for relics / old stuff )-- its private land with permission or forget about it --even so called "public" lands --parks and such are off limits there -- beach --dune foot to water line only in some places only

PS i did put up my "colonial pipe bowl" find :wink: :icon_thumright:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Smudge: No one ownes the beach, it is open to the public up to the high tide mark and in some cases to the dune line. The only restrictions are on National Seasures & possibly NOAA controlled areas.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking above riverfront, the St. Johns area in particular.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smudge: Magnolia Springs, on the W bank of St Johns River,1/2 mi. N of Green Cove Springs. In late 1800's was a resort area for wealthy tourest.
Ghost Town Oypas is 3 mi. SW of Middleburg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread