Sun Ray DX ?

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for a new pin pointer and I impulsively bought a Sun Ray Dx for my DFX. It's on the way to me. Was this a good move? Any advice on using it? I also bought a used pair of Gray Ghost headphones, I've heard they're good if you have some hearing loss? Thanks Rich.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich, you'll like the Grey Ghost headphones and the Black Widow's which I use are even better for noisy areas to block outside noises.

The inline probe is great as it acts like a 1" coil that works off the detector's disc circuit or program so targets will still show up on the screen. I don't have one on my DFX but only on my Sov GT. Talk about being handy.............. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Rich, you'll like the Grey Ghost headphones and the Black Widow's which I use are even better for noisy areas to block outside noises.

The inline probe is great as it acts like a 1" coil that works off the detector's disc circuit or program so targets will still show up on the screen. I don't have one on my DFX but only on my Sov GT. Talk about being handy.............. :thumbsup:
Thanks Sandman, one of the problems that I seem to have with my DFX is, it will be running nice and stable but when I find a target and I get down to dig I set my detector on the ground and for some reason it starts to go off. Sometimes I can reposition it but sometimes I have to pick it up off the ground. I'm a little hard of hearing so when it's making a lot of noise I have to remove my headphones so I can hear my pin pointer. Hopefully the Sun Ray will solve this. Thanks. Rich.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the inline probe also, but sometimes I long for a good old-fashioned hand-held pinpointer. I feel the only advantage for the in-line is that it won't be lost. ffd

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it acts like a small coil, it is helpful at giving a more accurate tone or vdi as you get closer to the target since it uses the detectors circuitry.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sunray probe is deeper on average than most handhelds plus it displays on the screen just like the coil. Too, if you pull the pinpoint trigger you'll get a smaller point with more depth making it even better for pinpointing. I use it and Grey Ghost phones both and have been well pleased with them.
luvsdux

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt with a minelab explorer, I don't use those goofy vdi #'s, I hunt by ear. I haven't noticed a lot of difference in depth using the dx vs handheld pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread