New Search Coil Tryout

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. You should get more penetration with a 10". I use a 10" on my machine and have dug ferrous metal targets in all metal mode down to 24" easy while still getting a nice strong tone.

OP
OP
S

sounder

Well, my buddy got the new 10" coil for his 202. The first thing we did was to put it on my Quick Draw II. We ran an air test for depth, and found that it didn't do as good on my machine as the stock 8" coil. We put it on his 202, and in the air test it didn"t seem to get him any deeper, however, later in the park he was digging coins up to 8 inches, which he has never done before with the 8 inch coil on his machine, so it did help him, but I don't think that I will buy one. He did say that he thought that he could pinpoint the coins easier with the bigger coil. sounder

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear it. Anything that can put more finds in the pouch makes it worth it :)

R

river city

hello sounder, could you tell me what an air test is?thanks. mark :)

OP
OP
S

sounder

mark, I hope that I called it the right thing when I called it an air test. What we do is to put a coin, usually a quarter, on the ground(where there isn't already a signal) and run the detector over it. We stand a wooden yard stick out at the edge of the coil, and watch how high up the coil gets before the signal is lost. This should tell you about how deep your detector is going. Personally, I think that the detector will go just a little bit deeper when the coin is buried in the ground, because of the minerals "leaching" the metal in the coin, and creating kind of a halo effect. Thats just my thoughts, and it probably isn't right. Anyway, that is the way that I do an air test. Most of the books that come with your detector will tell you to lay your detector on a table or flat surface, and hold a coin out in front of it, and see how it sounds, and how far away it will detect. What I do is about the same thing, but I find that if I try it in the house, I sometimes get interference from electrical sources inside the house, so I take it outside. I hope this answers your question. ;D sounder

R

river city

thanks, sounder sorry it took me so long to get back to the board.thats what i thought an air test was but i just whanted to make sure.im kind of new to detecting and anything new i can learn is great.i have learned alot from the guys and gals on this board and will continue to do so.thanks again,mark :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread